Attracting the best people
We believe that a diverse, engaged and talented workforce is the best way to boost productivity and innovation, manage risk, increase collaboration and problem solving, and better service our diverse customer base.
Our people are a key element in achieving our vision to excel at securing and enhancing the financial wellbeing of people, businesses and communities. Ensuring our people are engaged and proud to work for the Group is essential, since success with our people will lead to success with our customers, our community and our shareholders.
How we encourage employee engagement:
- We measure employee engagement in our annual People and Culture survey, and report the results each year in our Sustainability Report
- We build a customer-focused culture built on our values and behaviours, which shape how we work together, and how we lead our teams
In order to attract best-in-class talent, the Group has invested in an internal recruitment function that manages employment from Graduate to Executive levels:
- This team includes specialist recruiters in key skill areas
- They employ diverse sourcing strategies to identify and engage with high-potential, best-fit prospective talent that matches future recruitment needs
- Candidates are evaluated using tailored assessment methodologies that not only review skills and experience but propensity to succeed in specific environments
Employing a fair and robust process where all applicants are treated with respect is essential. We adhere to strict legislative requirements as well as internal diversity targets. The Group makes a significant investment in providing learning and development opportunities for our people, including:
One of ways we invest in the long-term sustainability of our workforce is through our graduate program. We offer talented graduates with a wide variety of qualifications a unique opportunity. Our graduate program offers participants the chance to trial a range of roles, expand their knowledge and skills, gain valuable networking and community experience, and determine which career path suits them best.
Our people’s health and wellbeing is critical to our business. We support them with a range of opportunities to be active and realise their personal fitness goals, including gym memberships and online lifestyle programs, with information on diet, nutrition, exercise, and mental and physical health.
We offer permanent employees and their immediate families an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which provides a professional, confidential short-term counselling service for personal, family or employment-related concerns.
We also offer a range of workshops aimed at improving health and wellbeing, covering areas such as:
- Stress management
- Exercise and fitness
- Mental health
We continue to maintain a strong professional working relationship with the Finance Sector Union and regularly meet with them on employment related matters. This is consistent with our ongoing acknowledgement that our employees have the right to be represented by a trade union or not.
Our aim is to provide a work environment that is fair, safe, challenging and rewarding, free of bullying and harassment. We have several processes in place that our people can follow if they experience or become aware of inappropriate behaviour in the workplace:
- Our Fair Treatment Review (FTR) is an internal grievance procedure that employees may be able to use to review decisions, actions or behaviours they consider may have affected them unfairly
- Our whistleblowing policy, the Reporting Fraud and Unethical Behaviour Policy, outlines a system for staff, service providers or suppliers to disclose internal fraud or unethical behaviour