Make your money work while you do
If you’re a trainee, apprentice or working full time you don’t have a lot of time to run around looking for financial advice. So we’ve created Heaps Handy, to give you heaps of videos, articles and useful products to make your life easier and your money work harder – all in the one place.
Make money as you goEven though it may not seem like much at times, one of the biggest benefits of doing a traineeship or apprenticeship is the fact that you’ll start earning money straight away. Here's 5 fast tips for making that money work for you.
1. Set up the basicsOur Everyday Account offers free electronic transactions* and no monthly account or withdrawal fees while you’re studying. And even after you’ve finished training, you can still avoid fees if you get your pay deposited into your account. To avoid monthly fees you’ll just need to deposit $1,000 a month if you’re under 25, or $2,000 if you’re over 25.We have templates ready to give to your employer for salary credits. Visit our Switching Service to see how easy it is to transfer direct debits to a new account.
2. Plan a budgetUnderstanding and keeping track of how much you spend, and on what, plus the amount you save, is what budgeting is all about. It can also show you where you can consider cutting back on things to boost your savings. To get yourself started, feel free to use our heaps handy budget planner.
3. Go for goalsIt’s great to have a savings goal (or two) to aim for, as an incentive to put money away each month. And whether they’re short or long-term, with a budget in place it’s easy to work out what’s realistic for you. A great way to reach your goals faster is to set up a NetBank Saver account. It can help you get in to a regular savings pattern and earn interest on your money. It could be a good idea to speak to a Savings Specialist along the way.
4. Have cash on handSomething like our Low Fee credit card can help you cope with any unexpected costs that pop up. It’s important to stay in control of your repayments though, as it will have an impact on your financial record. That’s why we have services like payment reminders and instant transactions in NetBank to help you along the way. You can also download our free mobile banking app to check your account balances and transfer money between accounts.
5. Build your financial ‘CV’The chances are that you’ll need to borrow money from a bank during your lifetime. To improve your chances of being successful you’ll need a solid financial background. Check out our simple tips for building a good-looking record.