Here are our tops tips on how to make the most of your Travel Money Card.
How does it work?
A Travel Money Card is a card that you load foreign currency onto so it can be used overseas to withdraw cash at an ATM, in store, online or over the phone. You can use it in more than 36 million locations worldwide - choose the ‘credit’ option.
Travelling to multiple destinations? You can load up to 13 foreign currencies on your card – discover how it works.
Step one: Order your card online in NetBank and start by loading the minimum amount of AUD1 (or the foreign currency equivalent). The maximum balance you can have on the card is AUD50,000 or the foreign currency equivalent.
Step two: When you get your card you need to activate and set your PIN in NetBank or in Cards using the CommBank app
Step three: Use your Travel Money Card for in-store, online or over the phone payments
Step four: If your balance is low, reload in real-time.
Reloading your card
There are three ways to reload your Travel Money Card.
1. The easiest way is through NetBank and the CommBank app
2. Using BPAY®
Enter the Biller Code 113167 then your customer reference number - which is your 16-digit Travel Money Card number. The money may take two to three days to appear on your card. If you’ve got more than one currency, when you reload via BPAY it will go to the first currency in the order on your card. You can set the order by logging on to NetBank.
If you use NetBank with NetCode SMS security you’ll need your mobile handy for the first reload via BPAY.
If you’re reloading overseas, make sure you have your global roaming activated while you’re travelling. If you’re not taking your phone, register for a NetCode token so that you can still transfer the funds online.
3. In branch
You can also transfer money in branch or by calling 1300 660 700 in Australia or (+61) 9999 3283 from overseas.
- The minimum reload per currency is AUD 1 and the maximum is AUD 50,000.
- The maximum balance you can have on the card is AUD 50,000 or the foreign currency equivalent.
Managing your card
If you tell us your mobile phone number, you can receive SMS confirmation when your card is loaded and notifications about your balance.
Lost or stolen cards
When you get your Travel Money Card you’ll automatically get two cards. This is so you have a spare in case one is lost or stolen. The cards have different card numbers and separate PINs. The spare is only a back-up card and shouldn’t be given to anyone else to use. As soon as you receive both cards make sure you sign the back of them.
Let us know immediately if one or both of your cards are stolen.
1. Log on to the CommBank app > Card > Lock card or tell us in NetBank
2. If you’re in Australia call us 24/7 on 1300 660 700 (local call)
3. If you’re outside Australia, call us 24/7 on (+61) 2 9999 3283 (reversed charges accepted1).
Suspect an error in your transaction history? There are two forms available if there’s an issue at an ATM or when you’ve paid for something.
What to do when you return
Your Travel Money Card (and emergency back-up card) is valid for two years so you can hold on to it for your next trip or use it for online shopping on overseas websites.
If you've arrived home with leftover currency you can:
- Exchange it for another currency on your Travel Money Card so you're ready for your next overseas adventure
- Withdraw it at any CommBank or BankWest ATM
- Transfer the currency into a CommBank transaction account in NetBank or the CommBank app
- Close your Travel Money Card at any CommBank branch and transfer the money into your CommBank account
The money on your Travel Money Card will be converted into Australian Dollars at a retail foreign exchange rate determined by us at the time of transfer.
CommBank emergency details
- Lock, Block, Limit your CommBank credit card, Lock, block your CommBank debit card or lock your Travel Money Card for added security
- Cancel and order replacement CommBank cards in NetBank or the CommBank app
- Call us 24/7 on +61 2 9999 3283 to report lost or stolen CommBank cards
For 24 hour travel insurance emergency assistance, call Cover-More in Australia direct and toll free on +61 2 8907 5641. You can also call from:
- Canada on 1844 345 1662
- New Zealand on 0800 632 031
- UK on 0808 234 3737
- USA on 1844 345 1662
Charges apply if calling from a pay phone or a mobile phone.