If you’re planning on a winter sports holiday, here are five things to think about before you go.
1. Afford to go
A Skiing or snowboarding trip can be expensive. Budget for things like:
- Hiring or buying ski or snowboarding equipment and clothing
- Lift pass
- Car hire (including snow chains)
- Sunglasses, goggles and plenty of sunscreen
- Food and accommodation.
Top tip: Looking for an easy way to save? Work out how many weeks you’ve got to save before your holiday starts then break the total cost into weekly or fortnightly amounts. Once that’s done, set a savings goal and make regular transfers into it from your day-to-day bank account.
2. Get travel insurance
Hitting the slopes without travel insurance could end up costing you a fortune in the long run. Some snow activities, including Heli Skiing, tend to be considered risky winter sports and most insurers don’t cover this in their basic package.
Some CommBank credit cards include travel insurance which you'll need to upgrade to include a snow pack so you're fully covered. If your credit card doesn't include insurance, you can purchase a policy and tailor CBA travel insurance to your specific needs.
Top tip: Do your research. Read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) carefully to see if you also need to get additional skiing or snowboarding cover as part of your travel insurance package. Also check to see if you need to wear specific equipment e.g. ski helmet. Not reading the fine print could mean you invalidate your travel insurance cover without realising.
3. Keep the costs down
Skiing or snowboarding mid-week especially at lesser known resorts can be quieter and cheaper. All-inclusive packages are often cost-effective especially if they include multi-ski or snowboarding passes.
Top tip: Book online, well in advance. Once you’re at the resort, it could be harder to negotiate fees.
4. Consider a Travel Money Card
This goes hand-in-hand with keeping costs down because you lock-in the exchange rate before you go. If you’re heading overseas, choosing a Travel Money Card is also a safe and convenient way of having money to hand without being loaded down with cash or notes.
Top tip: Order a Travel Money Card and load currency on it in NetBank and the CommBank app. Before you reload it, watch the exchange rate closely. Time it right and you could make your dollar stretch further – an extra night, flight upgrade or expensive dinner out.
5. Tell us before you go
Log on to NetBank or the CommBank app to tell us when and where you're going, if you're heading overseas. We can keep an eye out for any suspicious activity on your accounts and credit cards while you're away.
CommBank emergency details
- Lock, Block, Limit your CommBank credit card, Lock, Block your CommBank debit card or lock your Travel Money Card for added security
- Cancel and order replacement CommBank cards in NetBank or the CommBank app
- Call us 24/7 on +61 2 9999 3283 to report lost or stolen CommBank cards
- Call Allianz Global Assistance 24/7 on +61 7 3305 7499 if you’ve got travel insurance included with your credit card or a separate CBA Travel Insurance policy and want to make a claim.