What documents you'll need:
One of the following:
- Your passport
- Your current Australian or New Zealand driver's licence.
Two of the following non-photographic documents:
- Your Australian or foreign birth certificate
- Your Australian or foreign citizenship certificate
- Your Centrelink pension or health card.
One item from the non-photographic documents listed above AND one from the following list (a total of two items):
- A notice from the Commonwealth/state or territory issued to you, clearly showing your full name and residential address
- An Australian Tax Office (ATO) notice clearly showing your name and residential address
- A utilities notice from a local government body or utility provider clearly showing your full name and residential address
- Your overseas driver's licence.
Why we need to check your ID
Before we can approve your application for any of our financial products, we’re required by law to check you are who you say you are and confirm a few details about you.
The documents you take into your nearest branch need to include your full name and either your residential address, or your date of birth.
Your ID documents must be originals
Original documents must be presented or certified copies can be provided with application forms (if applicable). Read more about the certified copies process including who can certify copies for our in-branch ID check.
Professional translations are needed if your documents aren't in English
Each document must be translated into English by a translator who is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI) or an equivalent.
Bring a Change of Name certificate if the name on your documents has changed
You must provide us with a Change of Name certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages if your name is different or has changed.
You can complete your ID check online instead
If you’re new to CommBank and applying for a credit card or opening a bank account online for example, you can save yourself a trip to the branch by completing your ID check online.