If you're interested in cars, you're going to love these stats* about the vehicles that were on Australian roads in 2013:
- Three in four Australians owned a car
- The average age of all vehicles was 10 years
- 17,180,596 vehicles were registered. And this is growing as our population does, increasing by 2.6% in 2012, and more than 12% in the last five years
- Most vehicles were cars (13,000,021), followed by light commercial vehicles such as utes and panel vans (2,717,673) motorcycles (744,732), trucks (548,049) and then buses (93,034).
- One in every 435 people owned a campervan
- There were 22,986 ambulances, firetrucks, tow trucks and cherry pickers on our roads
- 13.7 million vehicles were petrol powered and 2.9 million relied on diesel
- Toyotas (2,606,749 registered) were the most popular car make, followed by Holden (2,027,034 registered) and Ford (1,555,842 registered).