Tips for travelling with a credit card
- Let us know when and where you are travelling plus your overseas contact phone number before you go. This avoids a temporary hold being put on your card and helps ensure nothing suspicious happens on your account.
- Make sure your contact details are up to date. Call 13 2221, drop into a branch or visit the ‘My Details’ section of NetBank.
- If you’ve got a Gold, Platinum, or Diamond Credit credit card, you have international travel insurance included with your card. No minimum spend required. Activate via NetBank every time you travel.
- Unlock overseas purchases on your credit card through the CommBank app or by changing your card settings in NetBank. You can set this lock to turn back on automatically after a few weeks so that when you return home, no-one can use your card in stores overseas.1
- Know your credit card PIN. Some countries no longer accept a signature, so be prepared. We have several easy ways to set up a PIN before you travel.
- If you're planning on using NetBank and/or the CommBank app when you're away, learn about what you should do before you go.
- Check the expiry date on your credit card and contact us for a replacement if necessary.
- Set up automatic monthly credit card payments to make sure you don’t miss any repayment dates.
- Organise travel insurance to protect you if the unexpected occurs. CommBank Gold, Platinum and Diamond credit card holders could take advantage of the international travel insurance included with your card (eligibility and criteria). Have the peace of mind that your car, home and your belongings are protected while you’re away. Be sure to organise car insurance and home and contents insurance.
- Register your travel plans with smartraveller.gov.au and stay up to date with the latest government travel warnings.
- Carry several different forms of money to cover all eventualities. Take your credit card plus a combination of Travel Money card, Debit MasterCard®, American Express Travellers Cheques and foreign currency.
- Lock in foreign exchange rates before you go – don’t leave it to the last minute.
- Stick to your budget by understanding international fees and charges.
Need assistance when you're away? Contact us.
Stay in control of your finances with our Low Rate Gold credit card, featuring handy extras like international travel insurance included with your credit card.
Check foreign exchange rates.
1 Excludes transactions flagged as recurring (e.g. direct debits) and transactions not sent to us for authorisation. Other Terms & Conditions apply.