What is Bill Protection?

You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.


About Bill Protection

Bill Protection can pay a lump sum disability benefit if you become disabled or an unemployment benefit if you become involuntarily unemployed. It’s designed to help with short-term expenses when you can’t work, like household bills and rent.

With a Simple Life policy, you can buy between $1,000 and $5,000 of Bill Protection cover, in $1,000 increments. For example, you can buy $3,000 worth of Bill Protection cover, but you can’t buy $3,500 worth. The cover amount you choose is known as your Bill Protection benefit and is confirmed on your policy schedule. This lump sum benefit will only be paid once in any 180 day period – for example, you can only claim the benefit for being disabled even if you’re disabled and involuntarily unemployed at the same time.

You can package Bill Protection with other Simple Life covers, including Life Cover, Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Cover and Critical Illness Cover, or you can buy it as a standalone policy.

There are a few important points you need to know about Bill Protection:

  • You need to have been employed to be eligible for Bill Protection benefits. To find out more about definitions of ‘employed’ please read the Bill Protection - Eligible types of employment descriptions below
  • There’s a 90 day no claim period from your cover start date. This means no benefit will be paid for disablement or involuntary unemployment if either occurs in this period
  • After a short term disability or unemployment benefit has been paid, you need to be employed for another 180 days in a row before you can access any more benefits
  • If you have Bill Protection and you change your occupation class, you need to call 13 3982 to update this information. If you become self-employed, you won't be eligible to claim for Bill Protection benefits.


You must be employed to be eligible for Bill Protection benefits.

Employed means you are:

  • Working in one of the eligible types of employment explained below and you carry out identifiable duties in relation to these eligible types of employment; and
  • Actually performing or capable of performing those duties; and
  • In our opinion, not restricted by illness or injury, from performing those duties on a full-time basis, where full-time basis means 20 hours a week

There are two eligible types of employment

  1. Permanently employed
    You’ve been working for at least 20 hours a week in a continuous, permanent and regular employment that is not seasonal in nature and for at least 180 consecutive days.

  2. Working under a fixed term contract
    You’re working under one or more contracts providing at least 20 hours a week of continual and regular employment, where the contract or contracts is or are:
    • For salary or wages; and
    • For a specified period; and
    • With the same employer; and
    • For a combined period of at least 180 consecutive days

Types of employment not listed above such as casual or self-employed work, where you have been working for a short period of time (less than 180 consecutive days) or working less than 20 hours a week are not eligible for Bill Protection benefits.

When a benefit can be paid

A short term disability benefit may be paid when:

  • You’ve been employed for 180 days in a row before you became disabled, and
  • You’re disabled for at least 30 days in a row, and
  • You’re still disabled after this waiting period.

Short term disablement is when illness and injury means you’re:

  • Unable to return to work and a doctor has certified this is due to illness or injury
  • Following a doctor’s advice and recommended treatment, and
  • Not working

An unemployment benefit may be paid when:

  • You’ve been employed for the 180 consecutive day period before you became involuntarily unemployed, and
  • You’ve been unemployed for at least 30 days in a row and are actively looking for a job in Australia during this waiting period, and
  • You remain unemployed after this waiting period

To see definitions of involuntarily unemployed and actively seeking employment, please read the Simple Life Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

It’s important you’re aware of the situations where a Bill Protection benefit won’t be paid. This is where your claim results directly or indirectly from any of the following:

  • A pre-existing condition
  • Suicide, attempted suicide or self-inflicted injury, whether you’re sane or not
  • As a result of war, whether it’s been declared or not
  • Substance use or dependency, including alcohol, drug, chemical or the improper use of medication
  • Participation in an illegal activity
  • Working in hazardous conditions
  • If your unemployment is voluntary. This includes if you resign; accept voluntary redundancy or take early retirement; abandon your employment; if you’ve been suspended from working, for example because you have lost your driving licence; or if you voluntarily terminate your contract as a contractor
  • If you became aware you’d soon be unemployed before you bought Bill Protection
  • If you’ve been living outside of Australia for more than 12 months in a row
  • For disablement or unemployment that occurs within the 90 day no claim period.

Call us on 13 3982 to enquire about adding optional Bill Protection cover.

Talk to us

Search support

Your questions answered

Search the FAQs to quickly find answers to your questions.

Search support
Support community

Explore the support community

Ask questions and get support from experts and customers.

Call 13 3982

Call us

View the listing of CommInsure contact numbers.

View contacts

Important information

As this information has been prepared without considering your personal objectives, financial situation or needs, you should, before acting on it, consider its appropriateness to your circumstances. This information is provided by CMLA and CIL (as relevant) and where we refer to ‘we’ and ‘our’, we mean either CMLA or CIL.

Please refer to the Simple Life Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and the Simple Life Medical Definitions Reference Guide for full benefit details, terms, conditions and exclusions. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) for Simple Life are available online or by calling 13 39 82 between 8am and 8pm (AEST) Monday to Friday. If you call this telephone number, you may be speaking with customer service representatives from Aegon Insights Australia Pty Limited (“Aegon”) ABN 35 082 524 785 AFSL 236657. Aegon is authorised to issue Simple Life on behalf of CommInsure.

The issuer and insurer for Life Cover, Total and Permanent Disability Cover and Critical Illness Cover is The Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Society Limited ABN 12 004 021 809 AFSL 235035 (CMLA). The issuer and insurer for Bill Protection is Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CMLA & CIL are wholly owned but non-guaranteed subsidiaries of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL 234945. CommInsure is a registered business name of CMLA & CIL.

The Commonwealth Bank of Australia does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CommInsure or Aegon or the products they offer.