You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.


What do I need to prove ownership of my home contents when I make a claim?

See all Home insurance FAQs

Last updated 02 February 2016

We’ll ask for some reasonable proof that you owned the items you’re making a claim for. We call this “proof of loss and confirmation of ownership” and the different types help us to determine the value of the items and replace them with their closest possible match.

Here are some of the types of confirmation of ownership we might ask you for:

  • Receipts
  • Warranty certificates
  • Valuations certificates
  • Instruction manuals
  • Spare parts for the item
  • Original packaging
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Credit card statements
  • Bank account statements
  • Photographs

If you’re unable to give us enough proof, we might refuse to pay all or part of your claim.

Find out more about how to make a claim.


Important information: Home Insurance is provided by Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CommInsure is a registered business name of CIL. CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’, 'us' and ‘our’, we mean CIL. You can download a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) or call us on 13 2423 for a paper copy.

Unable to find what you're looking for?

Search for more popular topics