What do I need to know about NetCode SMS?
Last updated 23 February 2015
NetCode SMS is a free service available to all NetBank customers. It replaces Personalised Identification Questions to provide added security when completing certain NetBank transactions.
When it's used:
You may be prompted to 'Get NetCode SMS' when you:
- Access 'my contact details' on NetBank
- Pay someone for the first time
- Add a BPAY biller
- Transfer money using international money transfers
- Use the 'offers and apply' tab in NetBank to open a new account, and apply for any investment or lending products
- Import files via NetBank
- Resetting and retrieving your NetBank details
When you perform one of these transactions, a new NetCode may be sent to your mobile phone via SMS.
How it works:
To complete your NetBank transaction, simply click the 'Get NetCode' button and key in the 6-digit NetCode you receive on your mobile phone in the 'Enter your NetCode' field. Each NetCode number is stored securely in our system.
To see how this works, view the following example.
You will be able to complete most of your online banking like logging in to NetBank and viewing your transactions without requiring a NetCode SMS. However, if you complete a transaction that would require a NetCode SMS whilst overseas, you can obtain one providing:
- You take your nominated Australian mobile phone with you whilst you are overseas;
- You have global roaming activated on your handset (contact your provider to check);
- The country you are visiting or residing in offers a compatible network.
We suggest you contact your mobile phone service provider prior to travelling as International roaming charges may apply. Keep in mind that most customers only perform a function in NetBank that requires a NetCode SMS one to two times per month.
If you live in an area with poor mobile phone reception or do not have a mobile phone, we suggest you remove NetCode SMS security and arrange for a free NetCode Token. This device is not dependent on location or mobile phone networks and can be arranged by contacting the NetBank Help Desk on +61 13 2221 (option 4), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or by visiting your nearest branch.
*If you do not have access to your NetCode Token or you cannot receive your NetCode SMS you can contact the NetBank Help Desk on +61 13 2221 (option 4), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or visit your local branch to discuss the options that we can provide you.
- Ensure your mobile phone is on and your SMS inbox is not full.
- Once you have keyed in your NetCode and it has been accepted on the NetBank screen, please delete the SMS from your mobile phone to avoid confusion with future transactions.