Regional businesses have always faced their own unique set of challenges. Recently a handful of local businesses from Gippsland, Victoria jumped at the opportunity to share insights into what has – and hasn’t – worked for them at Farm World 2019, one of Victoria’s premier agri field days.
CBA’s General Manager of Regional and Agribusiness for Victoria Darryl Mohr facilitated a panel discussion at the event with a range of local business leaders from a diverse range of operations. All panellists were asked: “What would you do differently on your business journey to help grow the business?”
“It was a pleasure to be able to facilitate a panel between some amazing business owners who are leaders within their communities. They were able to share the ups and downs of running a regional business and highlighted that collaboratoration and reaching out to those around you is the key to success,”said Mr Mohr.
Key insights on growing businesses from the panel:
- Failing is part of it: Own your mistakes to ensure customers have an exceptional experience.
- Good people are essential: Your team is the most important asset so lead by example to show how you’ll meet your vision. Focus on finding and retaining good people.
- Grow your network: Create and lean on a support network of others who run businesses.
- Strengthen relationships: Connect with others for advice, expertise and to help build further connections. Virtual connections are a great option for regional businesses.
- Keep it simple: Search for honest feedback and make sure you focus on the right issues.
Watch the full panel discussion:
Farm World 2019 panellists: Andy McCarthy (Director, Gippsland Solar), Belinda Brauman (Owner, Warragaul Dental Care), Dr Elena Kelareva (Founder, GippsTech and Startup Gippsland), Teresa Mitchell (President, Warragul Business Council), Peter Henderson (Owner, Grow Advisory) and Gary Lusk (Owner, Lilydale Instant Lawn).
Commonwealth Bank has been a proud supporting partner of Farm World for more than 30 years.
About Farm World 2019
- Farm World is billed as Victoria’s premier regional agricultural event and is hosted in Gippsland, Victoria. The theme this year was ‘Love Our Farmers’.
- Last month over 60,000 people enjoyed a variety of business stalls, exhibitor sites and family fun activities over four days.
- Commonwealth Bank provided two marquee shopfronts to support Start Up Gippsland, a mentor/entrepreneur program, that works with start-ups to help them better understand their business; and Olivia’s Place, a charity that supports families through pregnancy and early parenting, that used the space for mothers and children to relax. We also hosted a Business Breakfast in the convention centre featuring our panel discussion, as well as talks around innovation and an economic update.