Just because you can’t see your interviewer doesn’t mean a phone job interview is any less important. Find out what it takes to stand out and master the art of verbal communication with these eight tips:
- PRACTICE YOUR “VIRTUAL HANDSHAKE.” Just as when you meet someone in person, the first 15 seconds are critical to making a good impression.
- PLAN. Make sure you’re somewhere quiet with no distractions and strong network coverage.
- PREPARE. Do your homework before hand. Have a look at the careers website and keep up to date with what’s happening in your industry. Keep your applications, resume and notes nearby for support.
- SMILE AND STAND UP. Trust us – this works! Your smile will change your tone of voice and help you come across as enthusiastic, while standing will ensure you sound energized and professional.
- PAUSE. THINK. RESPOND. Don’t be afraid to take your time. Interviewers would prefer you to take 30 seconds to respond rather than jumping in with a rehearsed answer that isn’t tailored to what you are being asked.
- FOLLOW THE STAR. When responding to a question, explain the Situation & Task, the
- Action you took and the Result. This will ensure your answers are relevant and concise.
- SILENCE IS OK. Interviewers will need time to write down your responses so don’t feel that you need to fill the gap.
- ASK 1-2 GENUINE QUESTIONS. These will reflect your research and reaffirm your interest in the organisation.
Discover your next role at CommBank.
Visit commbank.com.au/careers and apply online today.