DIGITAL WALLET EXPANDS TO GIVE AUSTRALIANS EVEN MORE WAYS TO PAY
- CommBank app Tap & Pay now supports MasterCard and American Express credit cards.
- First Australian bank to roll out American Express credit card payments on all Android devices.
- More than 2.8 million logins to CommBank app each week.
CommBank app Tap & Pay now supports both MasterCard and American Express credit card payments, adding to the existing debit card functionality and giving more Australians the ability to further embrace the digital wallet and manage their money on-the-go.
Customers can now make credit card purchases at the Point of Sale using CommBank app Tap & Pay on all Android handsets with NFC, as well as the CommBank PayTag solution for iPhone users. CommBank is the first Australian bank to roll out American Express payments on all Android devices.
The latest development of the digital wallet reflects rapid customer adoption of contactless payments. Since launching Tap & Pay supporting Debit MasterCard using NFC technology in Android phones in March this year, more than 300,000 cards have been set up on the CommBank app and one million transactions have been processed.
Angus Sullivan, Executive General Manager, Retail Products and Strategy, Commonwealth Bank, said:
“Australia has some of the highest volumes of contactless payments globally and with more than 2.8 million users of the CommBank app each week, we are focused on delivering innovative payment features to our customers.
“This next evolution of the digital wallet places the power of mobile technology in the hands of even more Australians, giving them more convenient access to their finances whenever and wherever they are,” he said.
Delivering value beyond making payments
Tap & Pay is one of many features developed by CommBank to deliver simple and convenient mobile experiences. Others include:
- Loyalty feature in the CommBank app allows customers to scan the barcode of their physical loyalty cards and add a digital copy of them to the CommBank app, eliminating the need for a physical wallet.
- Cardless Cash in the CommBank app allows customers to make withdrawals at ATMs without the need for a physical card.
- Lock, Block & Limit provides a safe and immediate way to lock credit cards for overseas purchases, block ATM cash advances, set spending limits, as well as put a temporary lock on a misplaced card or report a lost/stolen card for replacement.
- The CommBank Offers app, currently piloting at Westfield Hornsby, enables customers who have an iPhone 5 or above to opt-in and take advantage of tailored merchant offers that deliver value based on their shopping behaviour and location.