If you’re looking to take out a personal loan with CommBank it’s quick and easy to apply online for one – just make sure you have a few things on hand before you start:

1. Proof of income

2. Bank statements

3. Personal identification

For a Secured Personal Loan you'll also need to provide:

4. Evidence of 12-month comprehensive car insurance

5. If you’re buying a car – a tax invoice for the car you’re buying

We’ve outlined what you need to ensure you don’t have any hiccups along the way.

You can upload these documents straight away when you apply online.

1. Proof of income

You’ll need to show us your two most recent payslips, or if you’re self-employed, we’ll need your personal tax return or notice of assessment (less than 18 months old).

2. Bank statements

We’ll need to see statements for any savings, loans or credit cards you have with any other financial institutions.

  • If you’ve been a CommBank customer for more than six months you only need to provide statements covering one month of your most recent transactions.
  • If you’ve been a CommBank customer for less than six months you’ll need to provide at least three months’ worth of statements.

3. Personal identification

If you’re an existing CommBank customer there is no need to provide personal ID. If you’re a new customer you'll need to provide one of the following forms of photo ID, either online or in branch:

  • Passport
  • Australian driver’s licence
  • Proof of age card

If you don’t have any of the photo ID options above, we’ll need to see two of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Pension card or health care card
  • Council rates or utility bill or Australian Taxation Office (ATO) assessment notice or overseas driver’s licence (only one of these may be used)

Want to apply for a car loan?

If you’re in the market for a car and want to take out a Secured Personal Loan, there are a couple of extra documents we need.

4. Evidence of 12-month comprehensive car insurance

This can be either a quote from the insurer within the 14-day cooling-off period, or confirmation of your policy from the insurer, i.e. the policy’s Certificate of Currency.

You'll need to organise this before buying the car, and you’ll need to specify the Commonwealth Bank as the financier of the vehicle when taking out the insurance. We’ll also need a copy of your policy.

5. Tax invoice

We’ll need a copy of the tax invoice for the car you're buying, which includes some standard information such as:

  • Car registration number
  • Vehicle ID number (VIN) or chassis number
  • Engine number
  • Purchase price of the car

Depending on where you're buying your car from, these forms will help you collect the information we need about the car.

If you're buying from a dealer, complete the Dealer Tax Invoice Request Form.

If you're buying through a private seller, complete the Private Sales Invoice Form.

Discover our personal loan options

Take me there

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice. You should consider seeking financial advice before making any decision based on this information. Applications for finance are subject to credit approval. Full terms and conditions will be included in our loan offer. Fees and charges are payable.