Structure and registrations
- Develop your business plan and financial plan
- Decide on a legal structure
- Register your business name in each state you will be trading in
- If your business is a company, register with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)
- If your business is a partnership, create a formal partnership agreement, including a buy–sell agreement
- Register for an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Register for GST and PAYG, if applicable. If your turnover will be less than $75,000 per annum, you may not need to register for GST
- Check with your state government and local council about necessary licences or permits
- Register your website domain name
- Join a trade association or chamber of commerce
- Review your will and personal insurance to ensure they allow for a smooth transition if you die or become permanently unable to work.
Put business banking solutions in place. The solutions you choose will depend on your individual business needs, but popular solutions include:
- A business cheque account for everyday banking
- A savings account for surplus funds
- An overdraft to cover any temporary cash flow shortfall
- A business credit card for business related purchases
- An online banking solution like NetBank or CommBiz to give you 24-hour control of your business finances.
A business banker can help you choose the most suitable solutions.
- If your financial forecasts identified a need for borrowings, apply for a loan or line of credit. Again, a business banker can help
- Set up your financial record keeping system, including an invoicing system and cash flow tracking system.
- Choose premises, then negotiate a lease or purchase agreement in consultation with your solicitor
- Arrange for business insurance, including public liability, vehicle, fire, burglary, professional indemnity and sickness
- Arrange for connection of utilities such as electricity, water, telephone and gas
- Arrange fitout and purchase business equipment, fittings and furniture
- Buy stationery and office supplies
- Buy supplies or trading stock and determine terms of payment, delivery and freight
- Create an asset register
- Begin developing written business systems.