You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.



What happens to your super when you leave Australia?

What happens to your super when you leave Australia?

If you made the move from overseas and have been living and working in Australia, it’s likely your employer has been allocating funds to a superannuation account on your behalf, to support your eventual retirement.

But if you decide to leave Australia, what happens to that money?

Taking your superannuation with you depends on one thing - whether you become a permanent Australian resident/citizen or not during your time here.

If you’re an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident

If you take the required steps to become an Australian citizen; or permanent resident, your superannuation is locked in place until you meet the conditions of release (eg retire after attaining preservation age) – regardless of whether you stay in Australia or not.

There are exceptions

If you experience a drastic change of events like permanent incapacity, severe financial hardship; or a terminal medical condition you may be allowed to access your super sooner. But there are criteria you must satisfy.

If you’re moving to New Zealand you may be able to transfer your super from a participating super fund in Australia using the New Zealand KiwiSaver scheme. 

It’s a good idea to get in touch with your super fund or a self-managed super fund (SMSF) specialist to find out more.

If you’re a temporary resident in Australia

Millions in unclaimed super is lost every year by people leaving the country unaware they can claim their contributions when they leave. If you’re a temporary resident (excluding visa subclasses 405 and 410 and New Zealand citizens) you can claim payment of your superannuation money once certain conditions are met.

When you’re planning your permanent departure from Australia, it’s important to remember your super may be able to move with you.

Planning ahead and being prepared is the key to making sure you get your super. You’ll need to make sure the correct forms are completed and lodged in the right order.

What you need to do

Fill out a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) application form online.

You can save your application any time but only submit it once you’ve left Australia. Your visa must be inactive or cancelled in order to apply.

You’ll need the following info handy:

  • Passport number
  • Australian Tax File Number (TFN)
  • All the details for each super fund including the Australian Business Number (ABN) of the employer who pays your contributions
  • Details of the bank account you’re now using overseas

You may also need to provide either i) or ii)

i) A certified copy of your visa or evidence you’ve held a temporary resident visa that’s expired or been cancelled, a certified copy of your passport photograph page showing your ID and departure stamp).  It’s probably a good idea to get these sorted before you leave (finding someone to certify these after you’ve left may be tricky)

ii) Confirmation you’ve lodged a Certification of Immigration Status and/or a request to cancel a temporary resident visa (Form 1194) with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). 

What’s next?

Once you’ve submitted your DASP form, the request will be forwarded to your super fund and the Australian Tax Office. Please check DASP tax rates as tax may be deducted from your super payment, which also means you will not have to include it on your tax return. You may also have to pay fees and charges.

If your visa is still active, but you’ve left Australia, further information can be found on the ATO website.

As the advice on this page has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs, you should, before acting on the advice, consider its appropriateness to your circumstances. Colonial First State Investments Limited ABN 98 002 348 352, AFS Licence 232468 (Colonial First State) is the issuer of interests in Commonwealth Essential Super ABN 56 601 925 435. This information is not financial product advice and does not take into account any person’s individual objectives, financial circumstances or needs. You should read the PDS for Commonwealth Essential Super and consider talking to a financial adviser before deciding whether to acquire or continue to hold this product. Click here to download the PDS, collect one from any branch of the Commonwealth Bank or call us on 13 4074 and we’ll post one out to you. Colonial First State is a wholly owned subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (‘the Bank’). The Bank and its subsidiaries do not guarantee the performance of Essential Super or the repayment of capital by Essential Super. An investment in Essential Super is via a superannuation trust and is therefore not an investment in, deposit with or other liability of the Bank or its subsidiaries. An investment in Essential Super is subject to risk, loss of income and capital invested.