You'll need to have at least one of the following forms of ID handy.
As part of our ID check we ask you to confirm the info on your chosen form of ID. We then check those details with the ID issuer using secure government identification services.
You will be asked to confirm your first name and last name. Also include your middle name or initials if they’re shown on your ID.
It’s important to make sure the details you tell us match what’s on your ID.
Use your current Medicare card to tell us:
- The colour of your card – green, yellow or blue
- Your 10 digit Medicare card number
- The 1 digit individual reference number – it’s the number next to your name
- When your Medicare card is valid to.
If your Medicare card is due to expire soon (in the next month or two) it’s best to choose a different form of ID as part of your online ID check - your replacement Medicare card may already be in the post.
Use your current passport to tell us:
- The country your passport was issued in
- Your passport number
- The expiry date.
If you’re using a foreign passport, we check the Australian visa that’s linked to your passport - so make sure that’s still valid.
Use your birth certificate to tell us:
- State your birth was registered
- Date your birth was registered
- Date your birth certificate was printed
- The certificate number.
Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates are reproduced with the permission of the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages for and on behalf of the Crown in and for the State of New South Wales. It is subject to Crown copyright.