- Having a number of options for accessing and spending your money is a good idea, particularly if you’re travelling to more than one country. From a pre-loaded Travel Money Card to debit and credit cards, plan early and give yourself multiple ways to manage your money.
- Ensure your card PIN is set up for your credit/debit cards. In many countries you’ll need a PIN to access your cash or make purchases. Manage your PINs through NetBank or our CommBank mobile app.
- It’s handy to have a small amount of local currency on you when you arrive so you can grab a cab to your hotel or buy a coffee without first having to exchange money or find an ATM. Buy foreign cash online or through one of our branches.
- Research exchange rates for each country you’re travelling to help you budget and plan your spending in different currencies.
- Read the latest travel advisories on Smartraveller for the countries you’re travelling to, plus get safety and security tips and warnings.
- Be careful when making your bookings online. Check that the businesses are reputable and their websites are secure.
- Don’t forget to take out travel insurance. With some of our credit cards, you may be eligible for included international travel insurance. Don’t forget to activate your insurance when you Register your Travel plans via NetBank, each time you travel. See if your current credit card offers this benefit or apply for one of our cards that does. Take a copy of your Certificate of Insurance including the emergency contact details with you.
- Ensure you have the right level of home and contents insurance so you have peace of mind that your belongings are protected while you’re away.
- Make photocopies of key documents such as your passport, visas, both sides of credit, debit and Travel Money Cards just in case you lose your bag while away. A back-up scanned copy on your mobile, tablet or laptop is handy too. Take one set of copies with you and leave one with family or friends at home.
- Tell us where you’ll be travelling so we can watch your account. Log on to NetBank or visit a branch.
- When flying, keep your money and valuables with you and not in your checked-in luggage.
- Use NetBank or the CommBank app to manage your accounts and keep an eye out for any suspicious transactions. If you notice anything unusual, let us know immediately. Control your credit card security and spending – you can instantly lock international payments, block ATM cash advances and limit your spending through either the CommBank app or NetBank*.
- Keep track of your cards at all times. When paying go with the waiter or shop assistant to the payment terminal.
- Don’t carry all your cash or cards in one place. Split up between your travelling companions or in different places within your belongings. Take advantage of the hotel’s safety deposit boxes for your valuables.
- Be careful with bags and wallets in crowded places such as airports, buses, trains and busy shopping and tourist areas. Don't carry too much cash.
- Be careful when using ATMs. Find another one if it looks like it’s been tampered with to avoid card skimming or potential fraud.
- Be careful when changing money at exchange counters, especially on the street. It can be safer to use major bank’s facilities. Check the exchange rate and any extra fees. Calculate in advance what you plan to change and count before leaving the counter to ensure all correct.
- Report suspicious activity on your account: + 61 2 9999 3283.
- Lost or stolen credit/debit card: + 61 2 9999 3283
- Lost or stolen Travel Money Card: + 61 2 9374 0609
Travel insurance – claims or help
For eligible CommBank credit card holders with included travel insurance or customers who purchased CBA Travel Insurance.
Departed Australia after 1 July 2015
Contact Allianz Global Assistance
- Help - call + 61 7 3305 7499 (reverse charge from overseas) or 1800 010 075 (within Australia) at any time
- Claims - call +61 7 3377 3988 (select from available options) or 1800 387 177 (within Australia)
Departed Australia before 1 July 2015
Contact Zurich Assist in Australia
- Help - at any time on + 61 2 9995 2020 #
- Claims – download claim form or call 1800 285 189
# Reverse charge calls to this number from many countries through Australia Direct®, Telstra’s international reverse charge service.
*Excludes transaction flagged as recurring (e.g. direct debits) and transactions not sent to us for authorisation.
Please refer to our Electronic Banking Conditions of use and CommBank app Terms and Conditions for details.