Help us improve our website by completing a quick survey. Start survey now

Upgrade your browser for the best CommBank website experiences. Click here.



From 1 July 2014, the Commonwealth Bank Group (the Group) will be required by Australian law to identify and report certain account information to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). This obligation stems from the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) which Australia has agreed with the United States to implement. Similar obligations exist in other jurisdictions where the Group operates.

These obligations require financial institutions in Australia, including the Commonwealth Bank, to determine whether accounts are reportable to the ATO. To do this we need to ask our customers a series of questions regarding their foreign taxation status. 

The collection and sharing of such information will be done in accordance with our Privacy Policy. We will only share information in order to meet our statutory obligations.

In summary:

  • New laws will require us to determine the foreign status of our customers
  • The Group will need to report certain account information related to this status to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

If you would like more information, please refer to the ATO website. You can also call us on 1300 590 330 between 8:15am to 6:15pm (Sydney/Melbourne time), Monday to Friday.