Being involved in a vehicle accident, even just a minor one, can be distressing. Hopefully it’s something that never happens to you, but if it does, it’s important to know what to do as soon as it happens and immediately afterwards.

1. Call emergency services if necessary

If the accident has created a dangerous situation – perhaps because it’s happened on a busy freeway, for example – and you need assistance, get to a safe area and call emergency services straight away. The most important thing is the safety of anyone involved in the accident, as well as any other drivers and pedestrians who may be nearby.

You should also call the police right away if the other driver doesn’t stop. Try to get as many details of their vehicle as you can should this happen, particularly their licence plate number.

2. Take down details

There’s likely to be a lot happening at the scene of an accident, so it’s important to take notes and pictures of the damage. Some important things to capture include:

  • Details of the other driver such as their name, residential address, licence number, vehicle registration number, contact details and so on
  • Description of the accident
  • Photos of the accident and, in particular, any damage to any vehicles involved
  • Time and date of the accident
  • Names and details of any witnesses (including their phone numbers)
  • Police report number if you lodge a police report

3. Contact your insurer to make a claim

Get in touch with your insurance company as soon as possible to file a claim. Typically you’ll need to provide your insurer with:

  • Your details
  • The details you’ve captured (see above)

If your car insurance is provided by Hollard and distributed by CBA you can call 13 1361 at any time, day or night.

4. Find a smash repairer

After you have lodged your claim with your insurer, it’s time to get your damaged car fixed. Your insurer can suggest a smash repairer, or you may prefer to nominate a repairer of your choice. If your car is unable to be safely driven, your insurer may also help you organise a tow truck. 

Explore a range of car insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice. The commentary provided from external companies that are not a member of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia Group of Companies (the CBA Group) does not represent an endorsement, recommendation, guarantee or advice in regard to any matter. The CBA Group does not accept any liability for losses or damage arising from any reliance on external companies and their products, services and material. Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124.

Car Insurance is provided and issued by Hollard Insurance Partners Limited ABN 96 067 524 216, AFSL 235030 (Hollard) and distributed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945 (CBA). Hollard is not part of the CBA Group. CBA and its related entities do not sell, issue or guarantee the obligations or performance of Hollard or the products Hollard offers and this insurance product does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. If you purchase a Car Insurance policy, CBA is paid a commission which is a percentage of your premium. 


For products issued by Hollard, information about the target market can be found within the product’s Target Market Determination available here.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling 13 2423 for a paper copy.

Taxation considerations are general and based on present taxation laws and may be subject to change. You should seek independent, professional tax advice before making any decision based on this information.