• A partnership is a legal relationship between two or more people (or organisations) who intend to make a profit
    • A partnership may have a registered business name and an Australian Business Number (ABN)
    • A regulated partnership is regulated by and a member of a professional association
  • Details we need

    • Full name of the partnership
    • Full registered business name or trading name of the partnership (if any)
    • Australian Business Number (if any)
    • Full name and residential address for all individual partners (we don't need this for regulated partnerships)
    • Country in which partnership was established
    • Industry in which partnership operates
    • Tax residency information - including countries of residency and tax identification numbers
    • Name, address and date of birth for all beneficial owners1
    • Tell us if the partnership earns more than 50% of its income from investing activities
  • Documents we check

    • An original, certified copy (or certified extract) of the partnership agreement
    • Reliable and independent documents relating to the partnership such as:
    • An original or certified copy of minutes of a partnership meeting;
    • An original or certified copy of notice from the Australian Tax Office showing the partnership
    • Business name or Australian Business Number
    • ID for each beneficial owner*, at least one individual partner, all corporate partners (if any) and anyone else you'd like to operate the account
    • If you have any corporate partners, they'll also need to bring documents relevant to their business structure e.g. If the corporation is an Australian Domestic Proprietary Limited, they should refer to the Australian Domestic Proprietary Company checklist
  • Who needs to visit a branch with ID?

    • All beneficial owners1
    • At least one individual partner
    • All corporate partners (if any)
    • Anyone else you'd like to operate the account

Personal ID

  • These are the documents we need to see to verify your identity.

    One of these

    • Passport
    • Australian or New Zealand drivers licence
  • or

    Two of these non-photographic documents

    • Australian or foreign birth certificate
    • Australian or foreign citizenship certificate
    • Centrelink pension or health card
  • or

    One of the listed non-photographic documents and one of these

    • A Commonwealth, State or Territory-issued notice issued to you that clearly shows your full name and residential address
    • An Australian Tax Office notice that clearly shows your full name and residential address
    • An utilities notice from a local government body or utilities provider that clearly shows your full name and residential address
    • Your overseas drivers licence (we don't accept digital drivers' licenses as personal ID)


  • How do I provide this info?

    You need to provide original documents or certified copies that are up-to-date.

  • How do I get my documents certified?

    You need to have a copy of the original document signed by a prescribed person and clearly mark your certified copy as a 'true copy of the original document'.

    View the Certified Copies Identification Form to find out more

  • What if my documents aren't in English?

    You'll need to get them translated by a translator who is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI) or similar.

  • What if the name on the personal identification document is different or has changed?

    You'll need to get a Change of Name certificate issued by the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.

What's next?

Take your documents to a branch with a small business specialist

Find a specialist

Things you should know

  • 1A beneficial owner is someone who owns 25% or more of the company, controls 25% or more of the company through voting rights or exercises control by way of making key financial or operational decisions.