You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.



Home insurance for landlords: Do you need it?

Home insurance for Landlords: Do you need it?

Having the right type of insurance can help protect your investment property.

If you have an investment property or are looking to buy one, it’s a good idea to find out more about home insurance designed specifically for landlords and investors.

While it makes sense to protect your investment against loss or damage, it’s also important to consider covering some of the special risks that investment properties may face.

How is landlord insurance different?

Like regular home insurance, landlord insurance provides protection against damage to your property from unexpected events such as theft, flood, fire and storm.

But this type of insurance also offers additional protection unique to landlords, such as loss of rent when your tenant can’t live in the home due to extensive damage caused by an insured event.

It often also includes cover, or the option to include cover, for loss or damage caused by your tenants that can’t be covered under standard residential home insurance policies.

Quality cover for your investment property

The Investment Home Package from CommInsure provides cover for your building, contents or both. It also provides these optional covers for added protection:

  • Loss of rent extra (if your tenants stops paying)
  • Malicious damage or theft by tenants.

Is landlord insurance right for you?

Landlord insurance can help give you greater protection for your rental property and income than standard home insurance.

Find out more about CommInsure’s Investment Home Package or speak to us in a branch. You can also try our online calculators to work out the replacement value of your building and contents, so you can choose the right sum insured to suit your needs.


This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice. Home Insurance is provided by CommInsure, a registered business name of Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. Where we refer to 'we', 'us' and 'our', we mean CIL. As this information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Home Insurance Key Fact Sheet, Financial Services Guide and Privacy Policy which are also available by calling 13 2423.