Help us improve our website by completing a quick survey. Start survey now

You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.


Frequently asked questions

I have recently suffered the loss of a family member or a friend. What do I do now?
We are here to help. Please notify us either in person or by writing to us at PO Box 334 Silverwater NSW 2128 with the original or certified copies of the Death Certificate and Will (if applicable) and your photo ID if you are not already a CommBank customer.

What if there is no Will?
In these cases, you will need to provide a Letter of Administration (granted by the Supreme Court), in lieu of a Will.

What is an acceptable form of Proof of Death?
The original Death Certificate is the only acceptable form of Proof of Death. Unfortunately other documents such as Medical Certificates do not have all the information we require.

I paid the funeral bills. Can I get reimbursed by the Estate?
Yes, if you are the person who paid the funeral expense and there are funds available in the deceased's accounts. You will need to bring the original receipt to the branch in order to arrange the reimbursement.

What happens to bank accounts?
   Sole accounts
All sole accounts held by the deceased person will be stopped.

    Credit cards

Any credit card/s held by the deceased person will be stopped.  If you are an additional card holder, and need to have access to a credit card, you will need to apply for a new credit card in your own name.

   Joint accounts
Joint accounts can continue to be operated without change; alternatively the account title can be amended to the joint holder's name.

   Joint home loans
Joint home loans are handled by our Customer Assist Team. The joint account holder will be contacted by the responsible team. Alternatively, the joint account holder may contact the team directly on 1300 720 817 Option 4.

   Joint personal loans
The account is to be maintained by the joint account holder as part of the contract agreement. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your nearest CommBank Branch or call us on 13 2221.

I have cheques made payable to the deceased. How do I deposit these?
Cheque payments after the date of death can be paid into the deceased’s account. However, any cheques payable to the ‘Estate of the Late’ should be deposited through an ‘Estate of the Late’ account.

What is an ‘Estate of the Late’ account?
An ‘Estate of the Late’ account works as a normal transactional account. Please visit your nearest CommBank branch to be guided through the process of opening up this type of account if required.

What happens to any amounts owed to the Bank?
Once the Estate has been assessed and debit balances have been offset against credit balances, we will close the accounts and release any remaining funds as per instructions provided. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Estate Settlement and Support team on 1800 686 153.

What if the Estate is in hardship?
Unless you are a joint account holder or guarantor, you will not be responsible for the debts of the deceased's Estate. If the Estate is in financial hardship you may consider contacting an organisation such as Financial Counselling Australia for further guidance.

How long will it take to release any of the Estate’s remaining funds?
As each customer’s circumstances are different, the time it takes to settle an Estate will vary. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Estate Settlement and Support team on 1800 686 153.

Who can I contact if I have any further questions?
If you have any questions or require assistance please visit your nearest CommBank branch or contact the Estate Settlement and Support team on 1800 686 153 between 8.30am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday (Sydney time).