Home insurance is designed to help protect your valuable assets, whether it’s your home or belongings. However, if you do have to make a claim, there’s a good chance it could be because of one of the 3 most common insured events: fire, storm damage or escape of liquid.


The devastating bushfires of 2019-20 reminded us all how important home insurance can be. Home and contents insurance could provide cover for your buildings and contents if they are damaged or destroyed by fire, including bushfire. 

Generally, there’s a 48-hour waiting period on fire cover. Please refer to your home insurance Product Disclosure Statement as some insurers offer some exceptions.

Understandably, it is unlikely an insurer will cover fires if they were lit with the intention to cause damage, either by you, anyone in your household, or anyone invited to your home – or with the knowledge or consent of you or anyone in your household. For full policy conditions, please refer to your home insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Storm damage

Home and contents insurance could cover the costs of repairing or replacing your home or belongings for loss or damage caused by storm. Similar to fire cover, there’s generally a 48-hour waiting period on storm cover.

However, it’s important to be aware this doesn’t mean just bad weather or heavy rain. In order to satisfy the definition of storm, the damage may need to be caused by a tornado or named cyclone, or an unusual volume, force or duration of rain, hail, or snow.

It’s worth noting that you’re responsible for closing all the doors and windows to your home when a storm is on its way. If you leave these open for rain, hail, or snow to come in, you might not be able to claim. For full policy conditions, please refer to your home insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Escape of liquid

With building and contents insurance, you could make a claim for loss or damage caused by the sudden and unexpected escape of any liquid from a washing machine, dishwasher, toilet, basin, fixed heating system, fixed tank, pool, spa or water main.

You could also be covered to repair or replace the item the liquid escaped from. However, you may not be covered for loss or damage caused by a gradual escape of liquid, or a faulty or leaking shower recess or shower base. For full policy conditions, please refer to your home insurance Product Disclosure Statement.


Explore our range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

1 2018-2019 claims data provided by CommInsure.

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home and Car Insurance is provided by CommInsure, a registered business name of Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. Where we refer to 'we', 'us' and 'our', we mean CIL. This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness to your circumstances.

A Product Disclosure Statement is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from commbank.com.au or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about these products. You should also read the Home Insurance Key Fact Sheet, Financial Services Guide and Privacy Policy which are also available by calling 13 2423.