When you are renting, it may be worthwhile considering contents insurance. It can cover any damage or loss of possessions while they’re located in your home, including things like furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, televisions, computers and jewellery.

Some people assume that their personal contents will be covered by their landlord’s insurance policy, however this is not the case. If you want to cover your personal belongings you’ll need to take out your own insurance policy.

Do you need contents insurance?

While you might not have one item that is particularly expensive, you may find that the sum of all your goods is significant. A good place to start when assessing whether or not you need contents insurance is to estimate the current value of your contents.

If there was to be a fire or robbery, could you afford to replace your essential items? If not, contents insurance could help give you peace of mind and protect you if something goes wrong.

Keep in mind that your items may not be insured at the price you purchased them for, but the current total cost of replacing all of your contents inclusive of GST.

You can use a contents insurance calculator to work out the value of your contents and estimate the amount of cover you may need.

Other insurances worth considering

Another option you may want to consider is portable contents insurance. This insurance provides cover for portable contents items that you typically wear or carry away from your home.

With this portable contents insurance, items are covered anywhere in Australia and New Zealand. They are also covered for the first 30 days of travel per trip anywhere else in the world.

No matter whether you’re renting or own a home, you may also want to think about:

Explore the range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home Insurance is provided and issued by Hollard Insurance Partners Limited ABN 96 067 524 216, AFSL 235030 (Hollard) and distributed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945 (CBA). Hollard is not part of the CBA Group. CBA and its related entities do not sell, issue or guarantee the obligations or performance of Hollard or the products Hollard offers and this insurance product does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. If you purchase a Home Insurance policy, CBA is paid a commission which is a percentage of your premium.

For products issued by Hollard, information about the target market can be found within the product’s Target Market Determination available here.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from commbank.com.au or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG), Key Facts Sheets (KFS), and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling 13 2423 for a paper copy.