When it comes to insurance, it’s important to know what’s covered and what’s not. Some cover benefits are included as standard and some are optional which you can select for an additional cost. However, some items and situations may be excluded from cover. 

While cover can differ from one policy to the next, here are nine common home insurance exclusions to be aware of.

1. Empty homes

Homes that are left unoccupied for extended periods may be excluded from cover or have limited cover. Check with your insurer should you plan on being away for a while.

2. Who is covered

Usually, only people named on your policy are covered – which means house-swapping or some rental situations may not provide cover for guests and their property.

If you’re using a service like Airbnb, check whether they offer insurance to help fill the gap. If you have guests staying, check what cover, if any, extend to them and their belongings. 

3. Lack of maintenance

It’s important to keep your home and contents well maintained and in good condition. Home insurance policies do not cover or fix general wear and tear or insufficient maintenance.

4. Existing damage

If your home has existing problems that contributed to the damage, your insurance policy is unlikely to cover you.

5. Weather damage

While many policies cover fire and storms, some will allow you to completely opt out of cover for flood or not offer it at all.  So if you live in an area prone to floods, cyclones and storms, you should check the policy coverage to help decide whether it’s right for you.

6. Animal damage

Damage caused by domestic dogs, cats or other animals kept in your home typically isn’t covered under a standard home insurance policy.

7. Acts of war

Any damage or costs incurred by an act of war usually won’t be covered by an insurer.

8. Renovations

If you’re renovating your home you may need to let your insurer know, especially if the value or extent of the renovation is significant. Most insurers don’t cover damage caused by or connected with the renovations. You may need to take out a specialised policy or see what’s covered by your builder’s insurance.

9. Home businesses

If you run a business from your home, you may need to let your insurer know as many policies don't include cover for stock you keep at home.

Other things to know

Keep in mind this isn’t a complete list of exclusions. What’s not covered can vary from one policy to another. 

An insurance policy’s product disclosure statement (PDS) provides a complete picture of what you will and won’t be covered for. Make sure you read it carefully before taking out any policy.

Explore the range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home Insurance is provided and issued by Hollard Insurance Partners Limited ABN 96 067 524 216, AFSL 235030 (Hollard) and distributed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945 (CBA). Hollard is not part of the CBA Group. CBA and its related entities do not sell, issue or guarantee the obligations or performance of Hollard or the products Hollard offers and this insurance product does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. If you purchase a Home Insurance policy, CBA is paid a commission which is a percentage of your premium.

For products issued by Hollard, information about the target market can be found within the product’s Target Market Determination available here.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from commbank.com.au or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG), Key Facts Sheets (KFS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling 13 2423 for a paper copy.