We know that your home is more than just a house or apartment; it’s all the things inside it that make it special and uniquely yours. So it’s worth thinking about how you might feel if your personal belongings were stolen or damaged – for example, in a flood or fire – and whether you would be able to replace them.

That’s where contents insurance comes in, ensuring you can cover the costs of repair or replacement for your precious items. But it also covers things that you might not have even thought about, like your home furnishings and fittings that aren’t included in building insurance.

Live in a home you own?

If you own a home that’s not under strata title, a combined building and contents insurance policy can give protection for your most valuable assets. While building insurance protects the main structures of your house, contents insurance can cover the things that make it a home – from your furnishings, fittings and appliances through to your personal items like sporting gear, jewellery and clothes.

Live in a strata title building?

While strata insurance, held by the body corporate, looks after the building and common areas, it’s important to realise it doesn’t cover everything.

Generally, strata building insurance doesn’t cover:

  • Any amendments or additions to any element of the original building, like putting in a new kitchen, bathroom or built-in wardrobes
  • Fixed furnishings, including light fittings, curtains and carpets
  • Personal belongings, from whitegoods, mirrors and artwork, to clothing, jewellery and sporting equipment.

Check with your strata manager to be certain you know what is and isn’t covered under the strata insurance.


One of the benefits of renting is not having to worry about building insurance. But if you haven’t insured your contents, you could still be exposing yourself to financial risk. If there were a fire, for example, you could lose your furniture, appliances and other personal items. Or, a thief could take your high-value, expensive-to-replace belongings.

Contents insurance can provide protection against these risks, and the opportunity to claim back the cost of replacing these goods. So even if you’re renting, it makes sense to consider contents insurance.

The benefits of portable contents insurance for everyone

The good news is, portable contents insurance can fill the gap and protect your belongings from damage, loss or theft outside of the home and anywhere in Australia. If you want extra cover for items you take outside your home– like a bike or laptop, talk to your insurer about portable contents insurance.

Remember, different policies offer different limits and exclusions, so it’s important to always read the product disclosure statement (PDS). 

Explore the range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home Insurance is provided and issued by Hollard Insurance Partners Limited ABN 96 067 524 216, AFSL 235030 (Hollard) and distributed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945 (CBA). Hollard is not part of the CBA Group. CBA and its related entities do not sell, issue or guarantee the obligations or performance of Hollard or the products Hollard offers and this insurance product does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. If you purchase a Home Insurance policy, CBA is paid a commission which is a percentage of your premium.

For products issued by Hollard, information about the target market can be found within the product’s Target Market Determination available here.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from commbank.com.au or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG), Key Facts Sheets (KFS), and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling 13 2423 for a paper copy.