Opening an Australian bank account
Most major banks will let you open an Australian bank account online before you arrive. Keep in mind, you may need to show ID and tax residency details in a branch in Australia before you can use your account.
Learn more about banking in Australia and Australian banking terms.
Health care in Australia
New Zealand citizens living in Australia may be entitled to limited subsidised health care (Medicare) under the reciprocal health care agreement between New Zealand and Australia. Cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.
- Medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital and out-of-hospital care
- Some prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
Find out more about medical care cover when you arrive.
Studying in Australia
New Zealand citizens living in Australia:
- Get subsidised primary and secondary school education
- Don’t need a student visa to study at Australian tertiary institutions
- Pay domestic student fees rather than international student fees for tertiary education
- Aren’t usually eligible for Australian student loans or study allowances. For information on financial assistance, visit Study Assist
Working in Australia
As a NZ citizen, you can start working in Australia as soon as you arrive. If you want to get started before you get here, there are plenty of websites to help you look for the right role. Learn more about what qualifications are recognised in Australia.
Paying tax in Australia
The Australian equivalent of an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number is a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
You can apply for a TFN online, but only after you arrive in Australia.
Finding the best place to live in Australia
Whether you’re planning to rent or to buy, Australia has accommodation options to suit everybody – from deserted beachside towns to bustling city centres. Housing prices vary enormously between cities and regions.
You can get a head start on your accommodation by doing some research online with popular property websites. When you’ve narrowed down your search, we can help you further with a free, customised Property Report on your chosen location or property.