Frequent traveller or not, multi-trip travel insurance can be an ideal option if you’re travelling overseas, around Australia* (over 250km from home) or a mix of both - especially if you take spontaneous trips on business or for pleasure.

How often can I travel on an annual multi-trip policy?

You can travel as many times as you like.

As soon as you purchase an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy, you’ll have protection for an entire year from the start date shown on your certificate of insurance or the date you booked your first journey (whichever is later).

How long can I travel for at any one time?

An annual multi-trip travel insurance policy won’t cover you if you’re holidaying for 365 days straight. This is why it’s important to check the maximum length of each journey shown on your certificate of insurance.

The maximum trip length will vary depending on the insurance provider you choose, so you’ll need to think about how long you’ll be away for at any one time during the upcoming year before you opt for this type of travel insurance cover.

If you choose CBA annual multi-trip travel insurance, you can choose a plan with unlimited trips of up to:

  • 15 or 30 days for domestic trips^
  • 30, 45 or 60 days for international trips

If you choose to travel for a period longer than what’s on your certificate of insurance, you won’t be covered for any incident or event that occurs outside of the maximum journey period timeframe.

When does my cover for each trip start and end?

Cancellation cover begins from when you purchase your policy and when you first put down your deposit for any trips booked after the purchase date.

Cover for all other benefits begins when your trip starts and ends once you’re back at home – or when you’ve reached the maximum trip duration selected. Your cover will then start up again when you leave home to embark on a new trip.

Can I cover multiple people on the one policy?

Annual multi-trip travel insurance isn’t only ideal for frequent solo travellers – it can work for globetrotting families, too.

Most travel insurance providers allow you to include multiple people (who are considered family or dependants) under the one policy, which may end up saving you money.

It’s best to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to see if the provider has age restrictions on each traveller and what the specific criteria is for including multiple people on the one policy.

What cover is included in my policy?

Always make sure you read the PDS to check what you are (and aren’t) covered for. It’s important your policy protects the way you holiday.

Most travel insurance policies will include a certain level of medical, cancellation and luggage cover but will they cover adventure sports? What about snow sports or riding mopeds? Check the insurance policy to make sure it covers you for all activities you may experience while you’re away.

CBA travel insurance offers ways to vary your cover depending on your trip type e.g. a snow pack, a cruise pack and more.

If you forgot to add extra coverage when you originally purchased your multi-trip travel insurance policy, it’s best to upgrade your policy before you leave home. Making tweaks to your policy when you’re already overseas is often difficult so it’s a good idea to plan ahead before purchasing your annual multi-trip policy.

What’s the best policy if I don’t travel often?

If you’re not planning to travel more than once this year, you may be better suited to a single-trip travel insurance policy instead. 

Does my card include travel insurance?

Sometimes travel insurance is included with a credit card.

If you’re a CommBank credit card or World Debit Mastercard customer, you may receive complimentary comprehensive travel insurance.

But be aware that multi-trip domestic insurance is only available on CBA Travel Insurance and not with the credit card and World Debit Mastercard insurances.

If your card does include complimentary travel insurance, you can activate your international travel insurance cover before you travel in the CommBank app or NetBank (or by calling Cover-More on 1300 467 951).

CommBank emergency details

  • Lock, Block, Limit your CommBank credit card 
  • Cancel and order replacement CommBank cards in NetBank or the CommBank app
  • Call us 24/7 on +61 2 9999 3283 to report lost or stolen CommBank cards

For 24 hour travel insurance emergency assistance, call Cover-More in Australia direct and toll free on +61 2 8907 5641. You can also call from:

  • Canada on 1844 345 1662
  • New Zealand on 0800 632 031
  • UK on 0808 234 3737
  • USA on 1844 345 1662

Charges apply if calling from a pay phone or a mobile phone.

Explore our range of travel insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

* Under an annual multi-trip policy, you'll have protection within Australia if you’re travelling more than 250km from home. See PDS for full details.

^ Trips must be more than 250km from your home during the period of insurance. Read the PDS for more information.

Any advice is general advice only. Please consider your financial situation, needs and objectives and read the Combined FSG/PDS before deciding to buy this insurance.

CBA Travel Insurance is provided by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited, ABN 13 000 296 640, AFS Licence Number 232507 through its agent Cover-More Insurance Services Pty Ltd ABN 95 003 114 145, AFSL 241713 (Cover-More) for Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA).

Terms, conditions, restrictions, exclusions (including for pre-existing medical conditions and persons aged 74 years or over), limits and excesses may apply to all insurances. Please read the CBA Travel Insurance Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide  for more information about CBA Travel Insurance.

Where used, the term “unlimited” only means there is no capped dollar sum insured. All costs and expenses claimed must be reasonable. You are only covered for treatment received and/or hospital accommodation during the 12 month period after the sickness first showed itself or the injury happened.

CBA and its related bodies corporate do not issue or guarantee this insurance. It does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. We do not provide any advice on this insurance based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. If you purchase a CBA Travel Insurance policy, we (CBA) receive a commission which is a percentage of your premium.

Read these relevant PDFs to help you choose the right travel insurance for you

CBA Travel Insurance

Credit Card Insurances

World Debit Mastercard Insurances