You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.



Moving to Australia from New Zealand

Moving to Australia from New Zealand

Thousands of people decide to move to Australia every year. If you're a New Zealand citizen, here are some answers to commonly asked questions around visas, banking, working in Australia and preparing for your move.

Do I need a visa?

Upon entry you may be entitled to get a visa that allows you to enter, stay and work in Australia. Find out more about whether you’re eligible and whether you can become an Australian citizen.

Getting an Australian bank account

Most major banks will let you open an Australian bank account online before you arrive. Keep in mind, you may need to show ID in a branch in Australia before you can withdraw money. Tips:

  • Open an account before you leave to avoid paying international transaction fees on your NZ bank account or dealing with physical cash and travellers cheques
  • Do it all online. Open a bank account, convert your money, and deposit it into your new Australian bank account before you arrive1
  • Shop around before deciding how you’ll convert your money

Learn more about banking in Australia and Australian banking terms.

Health care in Australia

New Zealand citizens living in Australia may be entitled to limited subsidised health care (Medicare) under the reciprocal health care agreement between New Zealand and Australia. Cover starts the day you arrive in Australia. What’s covered?

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital and out of hospital care
  • some prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Find out more about medical care cover when you arrive.

Studying in Australia

New Zealand citizens living in Australia:

  • Get subsidised primary and secondary school education
  • Don’t need a student visa to study at Australian tertiary institutions 
  • Pay domestic student fees rather than international student fees for tertiary education
  • Aren’t usually eligible for Australian student loans or study allowances. For information on financial assistance, visit Study Assist

Moving to Australia to study? Find out more about studying in Australia and use our handy student checklist to make sure you’re prepared before the first day of term.

Working in Australia

As a NZ citizen, you can start working in Australia as soon as you arrive. If you want to get started before you get here, there are plenty of websites to help you look for the right role. Learn more about what qualifications are recognised in Australia.

Paying tax

The Australian equivalent of an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number is a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

You can apply for a TFN online, but only after you arrive in Australia.

Find out more about paying personal tax in Australia and check the latest individual income tax rates.

Finding a home

Whether you’re planning to rent or to buy, Australia has accommodation options to suit everybody, from deserted beachside towns to bustling city centres. Housing prices vary enormously between cities and regions.

You can get a head start on your accommodation by doing some research online with popular property websites. When you’ve narrowed down your search, we can help you further with a free, customised Property Report on your chosen location or property.

Find out more tips on finding a place to live in Australia.


1 Transfer fees may apply. 


This article covers general information about things you need to know about moving to Australia, and doesn't take your individual circumstances into account. Please use it as a guide only.