Home insurance can protect you and your property when the unexpected happens. But there are some things you can do to lower the chances of something going wrong and needing to make a claim.
- Remove dead trees and foliage to reduce the chance of something falling and causing damage or of a fire spreading.
- Clear and clean the gutters – this will also help to reduce the risk of a fire, as well as stop rot and the spread of moisture.
- Check electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs and avoid overloading electrical outlets.
- Test your smoke alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
- Remove lint and any debris from dryer vents.
- Inspect the water heater for damage or corrosion.
- Walk around your property regularly to check for any cracks in the foundation.
What if something does go wrong?
If you do end up having to make a home insurance claim, contact your insurer as soon as possible (as well as the police if necessary). CommBank customers who have a home and contents insurance policy with us can make a claim online at any time online or by calling 13 2423.