Whether you’re banking online, shopping on your favourite website or logging on to social media – strong passwords that you never share with anyone, and change regularly, are vital to keep your information and money safe and secure online.
To help you, here’s a guide to strong passwords and how to create one that’s easy to remember.
- More than 8 characters – the longer and more complex your password, the harder it is for someone to decipher it
- Made up of a variety of letters, numbers and symbols
- Unique (not re-used for other websites or apps)
- Current (changed at least every 90 days)
- Easy to remember, difficult to guess (avoid dictionary words, dates, names etc.)
- Never shared with anyone, even family or friends.
The safety of your money is 100% guaranteed when you use the CommBank App or NetBank. We will cover any loss if someone makes an unauthorised transaction on your account provided you protect your client number, password, NetCodes and immediately notify us of the loss, theft or misuse of your password and of any suspicious activity on your account.
3. Shorten a memorable phrase
Create a password based on a phrase that only you know. If you’re saving for a trip to Hawaii, your password could be: $5kH?Al0ha! Alternatively, if vegemite is your favourite breakfast spread, try: <3VegeYum1. Naturally, don’t use these exact examples.
4. If you need to write down a hint, disguise it
Don't write down your passwords or PINs. Remember, your passwords unlock your accounts so never share them with anyone. If you need to record a hint, make sure it is disguised and secured.
Log on to NetBank and select My password from the More menu. Once you've changed it remember:
- Only enter your log on details to access verified CommBank websites, apps and online services e.g. NetBank, or shopping sites that use CommBank Checkout, MasterCard SecureCodeTM or Verified by Visa
- Never tell anyone your NetBank password or NetCode - not even us
- If someone calls asking for your log on details or NetCode, hang up and call us straight away.