- When shopping online, look for a locked padlock icon in the toolbar and ‘https’ in a website’s address.
- If you haven’t already, register for NetCode security. We can send an instant, time-sensitive password to your mobile or security token device which you’ll need to complete certain transactions.
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date.
- If you’re using a public computer, avoid entering any private information like your credit card details as some hackers may have installed malware to record your personal details. Make sure you don’t leave the computer unattended, log out of any accounts you log in to and decline to save any details.
- Be cautious about clicking on hyperlinks in unknown emails.
- Don’t give your personal details out to anyone who makes contact with you with a proposition that involves a transaction. If you’re emailed by someone or contacted through social media, for example, find out their company name and research the company before handing over any personal details.
- Through Lock, block, limit® and Lock, block for debit card you can lock your card from making purchases on international websites. When you want to make an international purchase you can unlock these payments and then lock them against once you’re done.1
- Set a PIN that’s not easily guessed – avoid using combinations like your name or date of birth.
- Don’t share your PIN with anyone.
- Always cover your hand when entering your PIN.
- Always keep your credit card visible when making payments.
- Tell us exactly where and when you’re heading overseas so we don’t put a hold on your card to keep it secure.
- Avoid keeping all your cards together in case your wallet or purse is stolen. Keep the cards you do use very close to you at all times, and the cards you don’t in a secure place like a safe.
- Make sure your contact details are up to date so we can get in contact if anything suspicious happens. You can do this through NetBank, by calling 13 2221 or visiting your nearest branch.
Can’t find your card?
If you can’t find your card but you’re pretty sure it’s just been misplaced and not stolen, you can instantly apply a temporary lock^ to your card through NetBank or the CommBank app until you find it. If it doesn’t reappear, or you think someone else has used your account without your permission or knows your PIN, you need to tell us immediately so that we can cancel it and order a new card. Once you’ve done this we’ll typically send the card to you and any additional cardholders within seven working days.
When your card arrives, you’ll need to activate it and establish a new PIN – you can do this through NetBank or the CommBank app. If you have additional cardholders you’ll need to activate their card/s, but they can set their own PIN.
Noticed suspicious activity on your card?
Let us know immediately through NetBank, the CommBank app, by calling 13 2221 or at your nearest branch. We’ll protect you from losses due to unauthorised transactions on personal and business accounts when you take the necessary steps to stay safe online.