For an owner-occupier, there are significant differences in cover between strata and non-strata homes. Find out more with our no-nonsense guide.

Most people would agree it’s worthwhile having insurance protection in the event that your home or belongings are damaged or destroyed. But did you know that cover for strata titled properties can differ to that offered for non-strata titled properties?

We highlight some differences between the two here in this simple guide. You should check what is covered under your insurance policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state and insurance cover differs between providers.

Building insurance versus strata insurance

Building insurance typically covers an individual domestic residence and provides cover for permanent structures like a house garage and granny flat.

Whereas, with strata titled properties, there is typically a body corporate which is required by law to hold residential strata insurance. This generally covers the building/s and common or shared property under the management of the building strata title.

Strata insurance usually includes cover for common areas such as gardens, lifts, walls, windows, pools, ceiling, floors and some liability cover for injury to people on common property. You should check what is covered under your strata policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state.

Contents insurance versus strata insurance

Items that form part of contents cover for non-strata titled homes also form part of contents cover for strata-titled properties. Contents insurance typically covers personal items like clothes and furniture.

However, there are some additional areas not covered under strata insurance that you may also need to factor into your residential contents insurance policy.

Items that may not be covered under your strata insurance include any amendments to fitted fixtures or fittings owned by you, for example, replacing the kitchen, bathroom or built-in wardrobes etc. To make sure you know where you stand, check with your strata management to understand what you're covered for. If there are gaps in cover, you may want to consider speaking to your residential insurer about including these additions with your contents.

For a non-strata titled home, tell your insurer about any renovations that increase the value of your home, such as extensions or loft conversions. These could increase the value of your home and rebuild costs, so you may need to increase your building insurance to ensure you’re covered.

You should check what is covered under your insurance policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state and insurance cover differs between providers.

Explore the range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home Insurance is provided and issued by Hollard Insurance Partners Limited ABN 96 067 524 216, AFSL 235030 (Hollard) and distributed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945 (CBA). Hollard is not part of the CBA Group. CBA and its related entities do not sell, issue or guarantee the obligations or performance of Hollard or the products Hollard offers and this insurance product does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate. If you purchase a Home Insurance policy, CBA is paid a commission which is a percentage of your premium.

For products issued by Hollard, information about the target market can be found within the product’s Target Market Determination available here.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG), Key Facts Sheets (KFS), and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling 13 2423 for a paper copy.