For an owner-occupier, there are significant differences in cover between strata and non-strata homes. Find out more with our no-nonsense guide.

Most people would agree it’s worthwhile having insurance protection in the event that your home or belongings are damaged or destroyed. But did you know that cover for strata titled properties can differ to that offered for non-strata titled properties?

We highlight some differences between the two here in this simple guide. You should check what is covered under your insurance policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state and insurance cover differs between providers.

Building insurance versus strata insurance

Building insurance typically covers an individual domestic residence and provides cover for permanent structures like a house garage and granny flat.

Whereas, with strata titled properties, there is typically a body corporate which is required by law to hold residential strata insurance. This generally covers the building/s and common or shared property under the management of the building strata title.

Strata insurance usually includes cover for common areas such as gardens, lifts, walls, windows, pools, ceiling, floors and some liability cover for injury to people on common property. You should check what is covered under your strata policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state.

Contents insurance versus strata insurance

Items that form part of contents cover for non-strata titled homes also form part of contents cover for strata-titled properties. Contents insurance typically covers personal items like clothes and furniture.

However, there are some additional areas not covered under strata insurance that you may also need to factor into your residential contents insurance policy.

Items that may not be covered under your strata insurance include any amendments to fitted fixtures or fittings owned by you, for example, replacing the kitchen, bathroom or built-in wardrobes etc. To make sure you know where you stand, check with your strata management to understand what you're covered for. If there are gaps in cover, you may want to consider speaking to your residential insurer about including these additions with your contents.

For a non-strata titled home, tell your insurer about any renovations that increase the value of your home, such as extensions or loft conversions. These could increase the value of your home and rebuild costs, so you may need to increase your building insurance to ensure you’re covered.

You should check what is covered under your insurance policy as strata laws and strata insurance differ state by state and insurance cover differs between providers.

Explore our range of home insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Home Insurance is provided by CommInsure, a registered business name of Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. Where we refer to 'we', 'us' and 'our', we mean CIL. As this information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness to your circumstances.

A Product Disclosure Statement is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Home Insurance Key Fact Sheet, Financial Services Guide and Privacy Policy which are also available by calling 13 2423. The target market for this product will be found within the product’s Target Market Determination, available here.