Part of the fun of a trip can be the unknown. But if the unknown turns out to be something unfortunate like lost luggage or a visit to a medical centre, you may need to make a travel insurance claim.

Claiming for medical and dental treatment

If you receive medical treatment or emergency dental treatment, then you need to get a medical report confirming the injury, illness or sickness and also the treatment received to support of your claim. Contact your insurer as soon as possible as they may be able to speak to the medical facility to authorise payment. If you make the payment, get a copy of a medical report along with any invoices and receipts.

Claiming for lost, stolen or damaged belongings

If your belongings are lost or stolen, report this to police immediately and keep a copy of the police report. If your luggage is damaged or misplaced by an airline or another transport provider or accommodation staff, report it to an appropriate official. Make sure you get a copy of an official report of the incident as well as documentation of any settlement offers. Any purchase receipts you have for the affected items will also help.

Making a claim

It’s ideal to make your claim as soon as possible. Check the Product Disclosure Statement of your policy to find out if there are any requirements around timing for making a claim. For claims related to international travel insurance included with eligible CommBank credit cards, or claims on CBA Travel Insurance, we recommend you start your claim within 60 days of the event or returning home, whichever is the latest. You can do this by calling Cover-More on 1300 467 951 within Australia or +612 8907 5060 from overseas (8am-5pm Mon - Fri and 9am-4pm Sat, Sydney/Melbourne time). Call charges may apply. 

Explore our range of travel insurance products

Tell me more

Things you should know

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice.

Insurance issued and managed by Cover-More Insurance Services Pty Ltd (AFSL 241713, ABN 95 003 114 145) on behalf of the insurer Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (AFSL 232507, ABN 13 000 296 640) for Commonwealth Bank of Australia (‘CBA’) (ABN 48 123 123 124, AFSL 234945). CBA and its related bodies corporate do not issue or guarantee this insurance. It does not represent a deposit with or liability of either CBA or any of its related bodies corporate.

Terms, conditions, exclusions, (including for pre-existing medical conditions and persons aged 80 years or over for international travel insurance included with an eligible CommBank credit card or persons aged 74 years or over for CBA Travel Insurance) limits and excesses apply. Before making a decision, refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for full conditions at

You need to activate your international travel insurance included with eligible CommBank credit cards before each trip in order to have comprehensive level of cover. If you don’t activate, you’ll receive personal liability cover and overseas emergency medical assistance and overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses cover only. We (CBA) do not provide any advice on this insurance based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. If you purchase or upgrade a policy, we (CBA) receive a commission which is a percentage of your premium.