You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.



What documents do you need for an in-branch ID check?

What documents do you need for an in-branch ID check?

There may be times when we need to check your ID in a branch. Use our handy checklist to see which documents we accept.

What documents you'll need: 

One of the following:

  • Your passport
  • Your current Australian or New Zealand driver's licence.


Two of the following non-photographic documents:

  • Your Australian or foreign birth certificate 
  • Your Australian or foreign citizenship certificate
  • Your Centrelink pension or health card.


One item from the non-photographic documents listed above AND one from the following list (a total of two items):

  • A notice from the Commonwealth/state or territory issued to you, clearly showing your full name and residential address
  • An Australian Tax Office (ATO) notice clearly showing your name and residential address
  • A utilities notice from a local government body or utility provider clearly showing your full name and residential address
  • Your overseas driver's licence.

Why we need to check your ID

Before we can approve your application for any of our financial products, we’re required by law to check you are who you say you are and confirm a few details about you. 

The documents you take into your nearest branch need to include your full name and either your residential address, or your date of birth.

Your ID documents must be originals

Original documents must be presented or certified copies can be provided with application forms (if applicable). Read more about the certified copies process including who can certify copies for our in-branch ID check.

What if you have moved from overseas?

If you have moved from overseas you will need:

Each document must be translated into English by a translator who is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI) or an equivalent.

Bring a Change of Name certificate if the name on your documents has changed

You must provide us with a Change of Name certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages if your name is different or has changed.

You can complete your ID check online instead

If you’re new to CommBank and applying for a credit card or opening a bank account online for example, you might be able to save yourself a trip to the branch by completing your ID check online

For those who do not have Australian ID, you will need to visit a branch.

This article is intended to provide general information of an educational nature only. It does not have regard to the financial situation or needs of any reader and must not be relied upon as financial product advice. Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. Australian credit licence 234945.