Dispute a Transaction
Ensure that you keep all receipts and transaction records received from merchants, financial institutions and electronic equipment, and check the details and entries on each account statement for accuracy as soon as you receive it.
Is there something wrong on your account?
Do you have a dispute or concern on your account?
If you find a transaction on a statement or ATM receipt that you doubt is correct there are a few things you can do:
- Check the date of the transaction to see if you are able to relate the purchase to something you bought on the same day. Sometimes companies have a different trading name to the billing name that appears.
- If there is another card holder on the account check if they made the purchase.
- If the amount seems incorrect, check your purchase receipt. If the amount is different it could be as a result of the exchange rate on an international transaction or a surcharge applied by the store/merchant.
- If you’ve checked everything, and you still can’t work out the transaction, notify us straight away and we’ll do our best to investigate.
We may be able to help you by investigating:
- Transactions you do not recognise
- Transactions you did not authorise
- Transactions that you may suspect are fraudulent
- Goods and services which were not received
- Transactions where the payment amount differs
- Goods which are not as described
- Duplicated transactions
- Recurring debits which were cancelled
- Goods which are defective
- ATMs that have given you an incorrect amount of money
- Arranging a chargeback for certain Debit MasterCard® transactions
Chargebacks for Debit MasterCard transactions
In some circumstances when you make a purchase using your Debit MasterCard, we can dispute a credit transaction for you from the merchant’s financial institution. This is called a chargeback. Usually, we can only do this after you have tried to get a refund from the merchant and were unsuccessful.
If you believe an error or unauthorised transaction occurred, please notify us straight away. To request a chargeback, tell us you want to chargeback the transaction within 30 days of the date of the statement which shows the transaction and provide us with any information we ask for to support your request.
If you don’t follow these steps, it may limit our ability to resolve your complaint, and you may still be liable for the transaction.
Please note that chargeback rights don’t apply to BPAY® payments from your Debit MasterCard, however we will do our best to try to recover the payment from the Biller or any other person who received it, if possible.
Simply call 13 2221, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or visit any branch.
For more information see our Frequently Asked Questions
MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.