We can help you organise your finances and get started with your new life as a student in Australia. To make your move easier, it's a good idea to open a bank account before you arrive. Why choose CommBank?
- Open a Student Smart Access account instantly, up to three months before arriving in Australia.
- Transfer money from anywhere in the world and view your balance online before you arrive.
- We don’t charge monthly account fees on our Student Smart Access account (while you're a student).
- Order a Debit MasterCard® (once you've identified yourself in a CommBank branch).
- Unlimited electronic transactions free of withdrawal fees1 at over 4,300 CommBank and Bankwest ATMs, EFTPOS (a way to pay using a card) and unassisted phone banking.
- Easy access to your money anywhere MasterCard® is accepted and Tap & Pay up to $100 at participating merchants across Australia and worldwide with PayPass™ (Fees may apply).
- Secure online banking in NetBank and on the go with our award-winning CommBank app.
- If you’ve been in Australia for less than six weeks, your passport is the only identification we need to open a Student Smart Access account. You'll pay no account fees while you are a student - just bring in your proof of enrolment (including your course start and end dates) to any branch.
- Your account will be opened instantly, and you will be able to deposit and withdraw money from the account and transfer money overseas
- You may also be interested in a high interest online savings account such as NetBank Saver.
- A little preparation can make your transition easy - see our Studying in Australia checklist.
- Track exchange rates with our foreign exchange calculator or exchange currency at any CommBank branch when you arrive.
- Australia uses a system of decimal currency, with 100 cents in the dollar. We use $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes and have silver 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent pieces and gold $1 and $2 coins. Learn more about our currency.
- Learn about the various student accommodation options available.
1. The $4 monthly account fee is waived for the first 12 months if you’re a customer looking to move to Australia and open your account using our online application form. After 12 months the fee will apply unless you deposit at least $2,000 a month (or $1,000 if aged 21 to 24) or you meet one of our other fee exemptions.
2. Access fees apply on all overseas ATMs, including the ATMs of ASB Bank in New Zealand and Commonwealth Bank in Indonesia and Vietnam, EFTPOS and Debit MasterCard transactions overseas (or purchases involving currency conversion), transfer group payments to third parties, International Money Transfers and separate services such as bank cheques, periodic payments and transfers/deposits to other banks. The owner of another ATM may apply an ATM owner’s fee at the time of the transaction.
The advice on this website has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should, before acting on the advice, consider its appropriateness to your circumstances. Please view our Financial Services Guide (PDF68KB). Full terms and conditions for the transaction and savings accounts (PDF 660KB) mentioned and Electronic Banking are available here or from any branch of the Commonwealth Bank.
MasterCard and the MasterCard brand mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. PayPass is the trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.