To make a claim online
- Complete an online form.
- Once complete, a summary of your claim will appear on your screen. Print this page for your records.
- After you submit this form our claims team will contact you within four business days to let you know how your claim is progressing. Please call us on 13 2423 if your claim's an emergency.
To make a claim by phone
Call 13 2423 as soon as possible with the full details of any loss, damage or anticipated or alleged liability.
If you’ve had an accident, you’ll need to:
- Provide the name, residential address and contact phone number of any drivers in the accident
- Provide the registration number of any other vehicles involved in the accident
- Provide the name and address of any witnesses to the accident
- Provide your entitlement to input Tax Credits (iTC), if you’re registered or should be registered for Goods and Services Tax (GST) purposes. You won’t be covered for any fines, penalties or tax charges if the information you provide is incorrect.
The Emergency Claims Assistance Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you call, you’ll speak to people who understand how important it is to get things moving quickly in an emergency situation.
Find out more about claims procedures in the Car Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.
If you need to make a windscreen or window glass claim, you can book an appointment online with our preferred supplier O’Brien® to repair or replace your vehicle’s glass
Our relationship with O’Brien® means you’ll have access to their “repair first” philosophy which will see you back on the road faster. O’Brien® also guarantee their workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle.
Or, call 1800 034 101.
Depending on the legal requirements of the state or territory where the loss or damage occurs, you need to:
- Contact the police at the time of the event if anyone was injured
- Request the police be present at the scene of the event, or
- Complete a ‘Self Reporting Collision Form’ at the local police station. You should only do this if the police inform you they don’t need to be present at the scene
Call 13 2423 as soon as possible with the full details of any loss, damage, or anticipated or alleged liability.
You’ll also need to:
- Do everything reasonable to limit and prevent further loss or damage
- Provide the full name, residential address and phone number of any drivers, passengers and witnesses involved
- Provide your entitlement to input Tax Credits (iTC), if you’re registered or should be registered for Goods and Services Tax (GST) purposes. You won’t be covered for any fines, penalties or tax charges if the information you provide is incorrect
If you feel a claim may be made against you, you need to:
- Call 13 2423 as soon as possible to report the incident, providing full details of any loss, damage or anticipated or alleged liability, and all details of other drivers involved.
- Record the name, address, licence number and insurer of other drivers involved
- Record the registration number of any other vehicles involved
- Don’t make any admissions or attempt to settle any claim made against you
You may also be asked to provide all documents relating to the claim, such as letters and court documents.
CommInsure may also choose to represent you at any inquest of official inquiry, or defend you in court against an alleged offence in connection with the accident.
Car insurance claims - Preferred supplier program
Repairers need to follow a standard application process when applying to become a Preferred Smash Repairer. Applications will be measured against the following minimum standard criteria:
- Quality of work
- Customer service and facilities
- Geographic location
- Equipment level and repair capacity
- Repair costs
- Industry relationships and references
- Repair management software and technology
- Historical performance of previous repair work
- Workshop presentation
- Shop facilities
- Customer support and communication
- Our business need for a supplier in your area
To register your interest in becoming a Preferred Smash Repairer please email a detailed proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly outlining:
- Your business name, ABN and contact details
- Credentials and qualifications
- Current performance relating to the above standard criteria
- Any supporting documentation including references and photographs of your workshop
Smash repairers submitting applications to become a Preferred Smash Repairer will need to understand that CommInsure is free to use any other supplier of similar services and that there is no volume of work guaranteed. If a supplier in your area isn’t required, you will be advised accordingly and your proposal kept on file for 3 months should a need arise in the near future.
As a signatory to the Motor Vehicle Insurance and Repair Industry Code of Conduct, all disputes are taken seriously. A standard Dispute Resolution Process exists to promptly resolve complaints or disputes that may arise in relation to our PSR's and motor vehicle repairs.
1. In the unfortunate event of a dispute, you first need to contact your local Assessing Manager
2. If the dispute has then not been resolved after discussions with your local Assessing Manager, you can request for it to be independently reviewed through an Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) process. You need to email with full details of your dispute and any documentation to support the dispute
3. Should you still not be satisfied you can proceed to External Dispute Resolution (EDR). This must be submitted in writing outlining your dispute and the outcome you are requesting. You will receive a written response detailing the outcome of the EDR review
This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this information you should consider the appropriateness of the product with regards to your personal circumstances. This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’ and ‘our’, we mean CIL.
Download a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) for Car Insurance issued by CIL, or call 13 24 23 and consider the PDS before making any decisions about these products.
Car Insurance is provided by CommInsure, a registered business name of Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers.
CommInsure is proud to be a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice, for more information on the code visit www.codeofpractice.com.au
O'Brien® is a registered trademark of O'Brien Glass Industries Limited.