If I make a building and contents claim will I have to pay two excesses?

See all Home insurance FAQs

Last updated 03 February 2016

No, you’ll only pay one excess when:

  • Your claim relates to both your building and contents
  • The loss results from the same Insured Event
  • Your building and contents are insured on the same policy

For example, if you have a $100 excess for building claims and a $200 excess for content claims, you’d pay the $200 excess. This is because you’ll always pay the higher of the two excesses.

The only exception is if you’re also making a Portable Contents claim. If you have the Residential Home Package and you make a Building, Contents and Portable Contents claim, you’ll need to pay two excesses. The first is the higher of the two Building and Contents excesses and the second is the Portable Contents excess.


Important information: Home Insurance is provided by Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CommInsure is a registered business name of CIL. CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’, 'us' and ‘our’, we mean CIL. You can download a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) or call us on 13 2423 for a paper copy.

Unable to find what you're looking for?

Search for more popular topics