What should I do if someone’s going to make a claim against me?
Last updated 02 February 2016
If you think a claim is going to be made against you, you should:
- Write down the name, address, licence number and insurer of any other drivers involved
- Write down the registration number of any other vehicles involved
- Write down the name and address of any witnesses
- Don’t make any admissions
- Don’t try to settle any claims yourself
You should also call us on 13 2423 as soon as possible to report the incident and provide the full details of any loss, damage or anticipated or alleged liability. These could be quotes for damage and letters from third parties.
Important information: Car Insurance is provided by Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CommInsure is a registered business name of CIL. CIL is a wholly owned but non-guaranteed subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’, 'us' and ‘our’, we mean CIL. You can download the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling us on 13 2423 for a paper copy.