Help us improve our website by completing a quick survey. Start survey now

You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.



If something has happened we can help you work out the next steps. 

You can make a building, contents or portable contents claim online or over the phone.

Step 1. Preparing your claim

What you're covered for

To see what you’re covered for check your Certificate of Insurance, which will show the sums insured for your buildings, contents and/or portable contents. The Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) will explain more about Insured Events and how the excess is applied.

What do you need to provide?

Having these details handy means we can quickly assess your claim:

  • Your phone number
  • Your policy number
  • Details of contents lost or damaged including:
    • Receipts
    • Valuations certificates
    • The make and model
    • Purchase price and date as well as and replacement cost
  • Photos showing damage to your building and/or contents
  • A police report number if you have had a theft or vandalism.

Our claims specialist will let you know if they need more information to assess your claim.

Step 2: Making your claim

Once you’ve gathered up your information you can lodge your claim online.

A claims specialist will contact you by the next business day to go through the details.

However, if your home is at risk of further damage or you are unable to live in it, call our Emergency Claims Assistance line on 13 2423, at any time.


Already a customer banking online with us?

Save time by using your NetBank details.

Claim in NetBank

Don't bank online with us?

Claim online


Step 3: Assessing your claim

If we need to we will arrange for one of our builders to inspect the damage to your property. They will provide a recommendation for the rebuild, replacement or repair needed to fix the damage.

We’ll review the builders report and any additional supporting information you give. This will help us assess if the damage is covered under your insurance policy.  

We will assess the claim based on the information you put on the online claims form along with your supporting documentation.

Step 4: Settling your claim

If we’ve agreed to pay your claim, we’ll contact you to let you know how we’re going to settle. We can settle by:

  • Repairing or rebuilding the lost or damaged part of your building
  • Replacing or repairing your contents
  • Giving you store credit or voucher for the cost of your claim up to the sum insured in your Certificate of Insurance; or
  • Paying you for the cost of your claim, up to the sum insured on your Certificate of Insurance. 

If we settle your claim by repairing the damage to your building, one of our preferred builders will:

  • Draw up a scope of work for you to review and approve
  • Agree a time with you to start work on repairs
  • Give you an estimate of when work will be complete.

You will also need to pay your policy excess to our preferred builder.

Important information

Home Insurance is provided by CommInsure, a registered business name of Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. Where we refer to 'we', 'us' and 'our', we mean CIL. This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs, you should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Home Insurance Key Fact SheetFinancial Services Guide and Privacy Policy which are also available by calling 13 2423.

CommInsure is proud to be a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice, for more information on the code visit