Help us improve our website by completing a quick survey. Start survey now

You’ll need to update your browser so you can continue to log on to your online banking from 28th February. Update now.


Home insurance options

Building & Contents Insurance icon

Building & Contents

  • Suitable for home owners
  • Cover for both your building and contents from fire, flood, theft and more
  • Combine building and contents to save up to 15% on your premium when you apply online*.

Building Insurance only icon

Building only

  • Suitable for most home owners
  • Covers your building from fire, flood and more.
Contents Insurance icon

Contents only

  • Suitable for home owners and renters
  • Covers your contents from fire, flood, theft and more.

You can also choose to increase your cover by adding Optional Covers, like accidental damage and Portable Contents Cover, for an additional cost.


Already a customer banking online with us?

You could get a better price.


Quote in NetBank

New customer or don't bank online with us?

Get a quote


Home insurance calculators

Calculate how much you need to cover your building and contents

Your sum insured includes the cost to rebuild your home and/or to replace your contents.

Building insurance calculator icon

Work out the value of your home and estimate the amount of cover you need.

Contents insurance calculator icon

Work out the value of your contents and estimate the amount of cover you need.

Want to make a claim online? We’ll get back to you the next business day.


Already a customer banking online with us?

Submit your insurance claim using your NetBank details.

Claim in NetBank

New customer or don't bank online with us?

Claim online


How to make a claim

Step one

Have your policy and personal details ready along with descriptions, receipts and photos of contents lost or building damages.

Step two

Make a claim online and our specialist will contact you to go through the details. Or call 13 2423. You can also enquire about your existing claim online.

Step three

If it’s a building claim, we may arrange for an inspection to assess the damage. If it’s a contents claim, we’ll assess the information you’ve provided to us.

Step four

If we’ve agreed to pay your claim, we’ll contact you to let you know how we’re going to settle. 

Learn more


An Insured Event is an accidental, unexpected or unforeseen event your Home Insurance provides cover for. Depending on the type of cover you have, here’s a look at the Insured Events we cover.

Learn more

We’ll ask for some reasonable proof that you owned the items you’re making a claim for. We call this “proof of loss and confirmation of ownership” and the different types help us to determine the value of the items and replace them with their closest possible match.

Learn more

When applying for home insurance you’ll be asked to nominate a sum insured for your building and contents. These should be as accurate as possible because they’re the most we’ll pay in the event of a claim.

Learn more

Yes, we’ll make emergency payments in some situations. This decision is subject to us accepting your claim and us assessing your particular situation.

Learn more

Read more about protecting your home

Lifestyle image

The difference between loan protection and lenders mortgage insurance.

Tell me more
Lifestyle image

Difference in insuring strata vs. non strata homes.

Tell me more
Lifestyle image

Do you have enough Building and Contents Insurance?

Tell me more

Related products

Investment Home Package

If you’re a landlord or property investor you can add optional covers to this building and contents cover, like cover for accidental damage and loss of rent.

Learn more

Portable Contents Cover

Choose between Packaged and Customised cover to insure portable contents for theft, accidental loss or damage.

Learn more

Car insurance

Use our comparison table to find the right car insurance policy for you. We offer three levels of coverage, from Comprehensive to Third Party Property Damage.

Learn more

Important information

*If you have purchased Building cover or Contents cover online, a discount of up to 10% will be applied to your basic premium. If you have purchased combined Building and Contents cover, a discount of up to 15% will be applied to your basic premium.

Online discount does not apply to Portable Contents Cover when taken as a standalone policy. This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount (other than those listed in the relevant Product Disclosure Statement or any Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement) or in conjunction with any other promotional offer, unless we have advised in the promotional offer that this discount will apply.

We may remove or change this discount effective from the renewal date. This discount cannot be backdated. Minimum premiums may come into force and reduce the extent to which discounts are applied.

Home Insurance is provided by Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CommInsure is a registered business name of CIL. CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers. This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’ and ‘our’, we mean CIL.

This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Key Facts Sheet (KFS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling us on 13 2423 for a paper copy.

CommInsure is proud to be a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice, for more information on the code visit