Applications for our 2020 Graduate Program are now closed. Applications for our 2019/20 Summer Intern Program will open in early July. You can view and apply for other roles here.
Financial Services Graduate and Summer Intern Programs
Finance Program overview
We are responsible for providing specialist advice, support and services on finance matters to support our Board, our shareholders and a vast number of businesses in their decision making and work closely with all areas of CommBank to help set our overall business strategy. We act as independent and trusted advisors to each business unit by providing analysis of their financial performance. Financial Services teams also include the Group Treasury function in addition to teams who provide specialist services in taxation advice, decision support, analytics, and management information systems design. In Financial Services you will gain exposure across all the areas of the Group to provide you with invaluable insights into the end to end banking sector.
Our people are passionate about delivering excellent service, providing insightful advice, and committing to making a positive impact on our culture.
We sit within the Financial Services division of the group, and manage the property and protective security functions of the Group. This includes more than 1200 properties across our retail and commercial portfolios domestically, as well as international support.
For the Group’s property portfolio, we are accountable for property strategy, space planning, leasing, design, construction, business transition and ongoing facilities management. The team also delivers major workplace projects such as Workplace 2020 which spans across multiple business units, government departments and external organisations.
This 10 week program gives you exposure in one of our specialist teams within our diverse Financial Services business and will help set you up for future success. You will have access to training, networking and mentoring opportunities and will be empowered to make a meaningful contribution to our business.
This 18 month structured Program includes three six-month rotations in our core business areas with a fourth rotation of your preference while you are supported in finding your permanent placement within the Financial Services team. In Financial Services, your rotations will have a focus on partnering with our business units, performance & analytics to provide insights for profitable growth and safeguarding the group in our operational risk and control teams. In Property, your rotations will have a focus on either Retail or Commercial property, including all aspects of Leasing, Design & Construction and Facilities Management.
Our development program is centred on enhancing our core Financial Services Capabilities to become a future leader within our team. The capabilities are a focus area for all Financial Services teams and will be your building blocks to ongoing personal and professional development
- Engagement and influencing
- Business Acumen
- Risk Management
- Business Insights
In Financial Services, areas you could rotate into include Group Treasury, Group Tax, Group Audit or business unit finance teams.
In Group Property & Security, areas you could rotate into include Facilities Management, Design & Delivery, Property Occupancy & Optimisation, Property Leasing, Strategy Development & Platforms, Protective Security, and Major Projects (Workplace 2020).
You can aspire to a variety of different roles within our teams and given the broad functional areas in the business unit, you will have the unique opportunity to develop core skills with the flexibility to apply these to both traditional and non-traditional roles within Financial Services.
The program will give you the foundations to become a future leader within Financial Services but can also provide you with the skills and platform to join one of our technical specialist areas dependent on your skills and interests. Potential roles include:
Potential Roles in Financial Services include:
- Performance Reporting Analyst
- Technical Business Analyst
- Economic Capital Strategy Analyst
- Finance Manager
- Investment Development Associate
Potential roles in Group Property & Security include:
- Leasing Manager
- Project Manager
- Change Analyst
- Strategy Advisor
- Facilities Manager
At the core you will be looking to develop your accounting skills but to succeed you will be highly analytical with the ability to translate complex financial trends into business opportunities. The landscape of the Finance environment is changing and we are looking for individuals who can adapt to ongoing change and succeed in high pressure environments. To be tomorrow’s leaders we are looking for those who want to become multi-disciplined professionals, and in in return you will have the platform for becoming a highly desired resource within our Group.
Group Property & Security
At the core you will be looking to develop your knowledge of the end to end processes required to develop a strategy, lease, develop, design, construct and manage physical property assets, but to succeed you will have a high level of emotional intelligence with the ability work as part of a high performance team. The landscape of the property sector is changing and we are looking for individuals who can adapt to ongoing challenges and succeed in high pressure environments. To be tomorrow’s leaders we are looking for those who want to become multi-disciplined professionals, and in in return you will have the platform for becoming a highly desired resource within our Group
For Financial Services, we consider graduates from all degrees, however an interest and fundamental units undertaken in a numbers and/or technology field of study is critical.
For Group Property, we consider graduates from all degrees, however you must be able to demonstrate a strong experience and understanding of the property or construction sector. Typical fields of study include Engineering, Architecture, Property Economics, Asset & Facility Management, Construction and Project Management.
Additional to the program opportunity to get an in-depth understanding of the Financial Services area, you’ll also benefit from:
- Real work: You’ll have the opportunity to work on projects that will be implemented and make an impact on our business.
- Business showcase: You will be assigned Projects to work on together with your Graduate peers which will require you to develop solutions to complex problems, giving you the opportunity to showcase your talent and drive to the Executive Leadership Team.
- Training and development: You will receive extensive training and development including a comprehensive 1 week orientation at the beginning of your program, ongoing masterclasses and tailored training throughout each rotation. We provide financial support to all Financial Services graduates to complete the CA, CPA or CFA Certifications.
- Work with Industry Leaders: Network with and learn from some of the best and brightest people within the banking and financial services industry.
- Mentoring – The Financial Services Graduate Program is highly supported by the business and you will be assigned a mentor from our executive team for the duration of your graduate experience.
- Diverse experience: You’ll be exposed to the different skills and experiences necessary to become an ‘in demand’ talent resource within Financial Services, opening doors to traditional and non-traditional senior finance roles in the business.
- Community: Financial Services has a strong focus on improving the wellbeing of our community and provides opportunities to undertake both volunteer and pro-bono activities organised by our Group volunteering team.
Awards and recognition
The Australian Top 100
Graduate Employer 2019
#1 Banking and Finance sector
Australian Financial Review and GradConnection Top 100
Graduate Employer 2019
#1 Banking, Finance and Insurance Sector
#8 Most popular Employer
Top Graduate Employers 2019