Applications for our 2021 Graduate Program are now closed. Applications for our 2020/21 Summer Intern Program will open in early July. You can view and apply for other roles here.
Institutional Banking & Markets Graduate and Summer Intern Programs
Institutional Banking & Markets (IB&M) Program overview
Institutional Banking and Markets is responsible for managing the Group’s relationships with major corporate and government clients and institutional investors, and provides a full range of capital raising, transactional and risk management products and services. CommBank’s purpose is to improve the financial wellbeing of our customers and communities. IB&M’s purpose is to combine global connectivity to build a better Australia.
IB&M also performs an important internal role for the Group by providing markets, lending and transaction banking execution capabilities to other CommBank business units that allows them to capture opportunities with business customers.
The Global Client Solutions division provides corporate lending, project finance, structured asset financing, leveraged finance and transaction banking and relationship management across six ecosystems:
- Future Cities: utilities, infrastructure, real estate
- Intelligent Finance: funds, diversified financial institutions, insurance, private equity
- Future Resources: oils and gas, mining, renewables
- Smart Networks: telecommunications, technology, media, entertainment, healthcare, education
- Efficient Supply Chains: industrials, logistics, retail, agriculture, food and beverage
- Connected Services: banks and government.
The Global Markets division is responsible for the Trading and Sales activities in financial markets encompassing all Foreign Exchange, Commodities, Fixed Income and Interest Rate products. The Debt Markets team within Markets also structures solutions that meet our client’s capital, funding and liquidity requirements.
We have teams that work across our core capabilities such as:
- Debt Markets: origination and execution of syndicated loans, debt capital markets, securitisation and agency services
- Global Syndicate: responsible for distribution of public market fixed income securities to investors in Australian, New Zealand, US, UK, Europe, Hong Kong and Singaporean markets
- Credit Portfolio Management: manage credit risks effectively to drive portfolio and client outcomes
- Sales: comprised of specialised sales teams focusing on bonds, foreign exchange, interest rates and credit
- Trading: comprised of specialised trading teams focusing on bonds, foreign exchange, interest rates and credit
- Commodities & Trade Finance: sales and trading across the full spectrum of commodities, including agriculture, energy and metals
- Global Markets International: sales and trading of foreign exchange, interest rates and fixed income in Europe, America and Asia
- Quantitative Solutions: focusing on the pricing and risk analytics and technology of the trading floor
- Markets Business Oversight: responsible for the processes and values surrounding sales and trading activities
- Global Markets Chief Operating Office: an enablement function that manages strategic projects, the investment portfolio, change management and business management function for the Global Markets business.
This 10-week program gives you exposure across our diverse business. You’ll receive training, networking opportunities, be supported by a buddy and have the chance to contribute meaningfully to our business.
This structured 12-month Program includes three rotations in different parts of Institutional Banking & Markets. Depending on where you are placed within the business, you will be required to complete one or more of the following accreditation Programs:
- AFMA Core Accreditation
- AFMA Specialist Accreditation
On a day-to-day basis, you can expect to gain hands-on experience, through involvement with financial analysis, financial modelling, preparation of pitch books, undertaking research projects, dealing directly with internal and external clients, and attending client and management meetings.
Graduates could move into one of the following roles upon completing the Program:
- Associate, Global Client Solutions Ecosystems:
- Future Cities
- Intelligent Finance
- Future Resources
- Smart Networks
- Efficient Supply Chains
- Connected Services.
- Associate, Global Markets:
- Commodities & Trade.
You are solutions and team focused, insightful, performance driven, experienced, proactive, ambitious, have excellent interpersonal skills and are a strong fit within our collaborative culture.
As well as gaining an in-depth understanding of Institutional Banking & Markets, you’ll also benefit from:
- Exciting work: You’ll be involved in making live deals and trades, and will interact with top institutional clients and high-level management within CommBank. You may also have the chance to obtain international exposure and experience
- Diverse experience: You’ll get involved in a range of different areas and projects, which will help you develop a range of new skills and experiences
- Training and development: You’ll receive extensive training and development, including our 4 week Graduate Academy at the beginning of your program and ongoing forums at the end of each rotation
- Support: Senior team members will mentor you and, if you perform, you’re guaranteed a placement at the end of the Program
- Community involvement: You’ll have the chance to engage the wider community through graduate-led community projects and initiatives.
Awards and recognition
The Australian Top 100
Graduate Employer 2019
#1 Banking and Finance sector
Australian Financial Review and GradConnection Top 100
Graduate Employer 2019
#1 Banking, Finance and Insurance Sector
#8 Most popular Employer
Top Graduate Employers 2019