You can send money to over 200 countries in more than 30 currencies using just a mobile number or your recipient's bank account details, using the CommBank app and NetBank.
Follow the exchange rate
Your IMT will generally be converted into the local currency, so the strength of the foreign exchange rate on the day you send your IMT will determine how much your transfer amount will convert to.
We recommend that you choose the local currency of the destination country when sending an IMT. Exchange rates do fluctuate, so it’s good to keep your eye on them so you time your IMT right.
Check the fees
You’ll generally be charged a transfer fee. It tends to be cheaper if you’re transferring money online - the transfer fee can be as low as $6 for an IMT made online in NetBank or the CommBank app, compared to $30 in branch.
Did you know? Your recipient’s bank may also charge fees which will eat into the money you’re sending. And if you amend, or cancel your transfer, you may be charged additional fees.
Know your limit
If you’re sending an IMT for the first time, make sure you set your daily international transfer limit in NetBank or the CommBank app. The maximum daily limit is $5,000 if you’re using NetBank or the CommBank app. You can send more than $5,000 though, simply by increasing your limit at your nearest branch or by calling us 24/7 on 13 2221.
Get your recipient's info first
Before you send an IMT, you will need the following info:
- Recipient’s name, their account name and home address
- Recipient’s International Bank Account Number (IBAN) or bank account number
- The SWIFT or BIC code of the recipient’s bank. Sometimes you'll be asked for a BIC and sometimes a SWIFT – they’re the same thing.
You can also send an IMT with your recipient’s mobile number using the CommBank app.
Quickguide: How to send an IMT
You can choose to send money overseas using someone's mobile number or their bank account details. We'll ask you to choose between these two before you start.
- Already paid the recipient before? Log on to the app > Pay someone > Overseas transfer > Mobile number OR Bank account
- Choose either Mobile number or Bank account, then follow the next steps
- Not paid the recipient before? Log on to the app > Pay someone > Tap + > Overseas transfer and follow the next steps.
- Log on to NetBank > Transfers & BPAY > International Money Transfer
- Then choose the country you’re transferring to, before adding the recipient’s details. You can also select a recipient from your international address book if you’ve transferred to them before
- We’ll then ask you which account you’re transferring from and to confirm the amount and currency too. Choose Next to confirm.
Your money is transferred through the secure international banking system straight into your recipient's account.