Cover Types

  • Contents Cover

    Cover your belongings in the home you rent from loss or damage caused by fire, flood, theft, motor burnout and more.1 Automatic cover is also provided for your jewellery and watches within your home, for up to 25% of your contents sum insured.

  • Optional covers 

    For an additional premium increase your cover by adding: 

    • Portable Contents Cover 
    • Accidental damage which gives you extra protection in the event that you experience a one-off accident that causes loss or damage

A wide range of features and benefits

  • Everyday items

    Cover for your everyday items like laptops, clothing, jewellery, furniture, sunglasses and your favourite shoes.

  • Up to 25% gap cover

    Our home insurance can cover up to an additional 25% on top of your building and contents sum insured when it isn't enough to cover your loss.2

  • Contents in transit

    Cover for up to 20% of your contents sum insured when moving house within Australia, if the vehicle carrying your contents is damaged or stolen in transit.

  • Pay monthly

    No extra costs if you choose to pay your premium monthly. 

  • Up to $20 million legal liability

    If you’re legally liable for an incident, cover includes up to $20 million for damages and legal fees (excluded under Portable Contents Cover).

What's covered?

  • Our Residential Home Package insurance can cover you from the following insured events:

    • Accidental glass breakage
    • Animal damage
    • Burning out of electric motors and power surge
    • Earthquake
    • Explosion
    • Fire1
    • Flood1
    • Legal liability
    • Lightning
    • Malicious act including vandalism
    • Riot and public disturbances
    • Storm1
    • Sudden escape of liquid
    • Sudden impact
    • Theft or attempted theft

Additional benefits depending on the cover you take under the Residential Home Package:

Additional benefits
Contents cover
Contents in transit
Damage by emergency services 
Demolition and debris removal costs
Domestic pet cover 
Emergency work and temporary repairs  
Matching benefit  
Moving within Australia
Storage fees 
Temporary removal of your contents 
Visitors’ property 

Optional Covers - We also have optional covers available at an additional premium. 

Optional covers
Contents cover
Accidental damage  
Domestic Workers’ Compensation Cover   
Portable Contents Cover

For full details about cover, limitations and exclusions, read the Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)

Take a look

Before you start

  • 1. Choose the cover that’s right for you

    Whether you're an owner, investor or renter, decide which cover is right for you and know what you want to cover. 

  • 2. Calculate how much cover you need

    Use our calculators below to help estimate the replacement value of your building and/or contents – it could be more than you think. 

    Buildings calculator

    Contents calculator

  • 3. Know the details

    You’ll need to know the age of your home and what your walls and roof are made out of. You may be able to find these details on your house plans, current Certificate of Insurance or purchase contract.  If not, your real estate agent or local council should be able to help.

  • 4. Get a quick quote

    Complete a quick and easy quote online.

    Alternatively, call us on 13 2423 8am–8pm, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, Sat (Sydney/Melbourne time) or visit your local branch.

    Get a quote

Make a claim

  • Get instant confirmation when you make a claim online. We’ll contact you via email by the next business day to advise next steps and if any further information is required to assess your claim.

    Alternatively, call us on 13 2423.

    How to make a claim


Things you should know

  • 1 Cover for damage caused by storm, bushfire or flood is excluded for the first 48 hours of the policy (exceptions apply). Claim limits and other exclusions apply.

    2 Gap Cover does not apply to Portable Contents Cover, Domestic Workers’ Compensation Cover, Items with a maximum claim limit and Legal Liability.

    Home Insurance is provided by Commonwealth Insurance Limited ABN 96 067 524 216 AFSL 235030 (CIL). CommInsure is a registered business name of CIL. CIL is a wholly owned non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 (The Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the obligations or performance of CIL or the products it offers.  This information is provided by CIL and where we refer to ‘we’ and ‘our’, we mean CIL.

    The target market for this product will be found within the product’s Target Market Determination, available here.

    This information has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should, before acting on this, consider the appropriateness of the product to your circumstances. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available at all Commonwealth Bank branches, by downloading them from or by calling 13 2423 and should be considered before making any decisions about this product. You should also read the Premium, Excess and Discount Guide (PEDG), Key Facts Sheets (KFS) and Financial Services Guide (FSG) by clicking on the links, or by calling us on 13 2423 for a paper copy.

    CommInsure is proud to be a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice, for more information on the code visit