Your Australian bank account
Whether you're moving to Australia to live, work or study we can help make your move easier. Open an Everyday Account Smart Access now and you'll get your bank account details instantly.
It's one less thing to think about as you prepare to move here.
There are two tailored Smart Access accounts to choose from - one for those intending to live and work in Australia, the other (our student account) for those studying here.
Both types of accounts require you to be identified in a CommBank branch. Once identified you'll be able to withdraw your money and gain full access to your account. If you're opening your account with someone else you must go to a branch to be identified together.
- Open your account instantly online up to three months before you arrive in Australia
- Transfer money from anywhere in the world and view your balance online before you arrive
- No monthly account fees for the first 12 months with our Everyday Smart Access account1. We don’t charge monthly account fees for students with an Everyday Smart Access account while you are a student
- Your Debit MasterCard® will be ready to collect when you arrive in Australia. Students or those due to arrive within seven days or less of opening their account can order a Debit MasterCard® once identified in a CommBank branch
- Unlimited electronic transactions free of withdrawal fees2 at over 4,300 CommBank and Bankwest ATMs, EFTPOS (a way to pay using a card) and unassisted phone banking
- Easy access to your money anywhere MasterCard® is accepted and Tap & Pay up to $100 at participating merchants across Australia and worldwide with PayPass™ (fees may apply)
- Bank online in NetBank (Australia’s #1 online bank) and on the go with our award-winning CommBank mobile app.
Things you should know
1. The $4 monthly account fee is waived for the first 12 months if you’re a moving to Australia customer who opened their account using our online application form. After 12 months the fee will apply unless you deposit at least $2,000 a month (or $1,000 if aged 21 to 24) or you meet one of our other fee exemptions.
2. Access fees apply on all overseas ATMs, including the ATMs of ASB Bank in New Zealand and Commonwealth Bank in Indonesia and Vietnam, EFTPOS and Debit MasterCard transactions overseas (or purchases involving currency conversion), transfer group payments to third parties, International Money Transfers and separate services such as bank cheques, periodic payments and transfers/deposits to other banks. The owner of another ATM may apply an ATM owner’s fee at the time of the transaction.
The advice on this website has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should, before acting on the advice, consider its appropriateness to your circumstances. Please view our Financial Services Guide (PDF68KB). Full terms and conditions for the transaction and savings accounts (PDF 660KB) mentioned and Electronic Banking are available here or from any branch of the Commonwealth Bank.
MasterCard and the MasterCard brand mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. PayPass is the trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.