The Commonwealth Bank was founded under the Commonwealth Bank Act in 1911 and commenced operations in 1912, empowered to conduct both savings and general banking business. Today, we’ve grown to a business with more than 800,000 shareholders and 52,000 people working in the Commonwealth Bank Group. We offer a full range of financial services to help all Australians build and manage their finances.
For a brief history of the Commonwealth Bank, visit the following pages:
- The beginnings (early 19th century)
- Foundation (1912–1920)
- Development as a central bank (1920–1960)
- Commonwealth Banking Corporation (1960–1980)
- Privatisation (1991) and subsequent developments
- Past leaders
Documentation and Archives Centre
The Commonwealth Bank Documentation and Archives Centre serves our internal needs and supplies information to the public about the organisation’s history and operations.
The centre houses information about the Commonwealth Bank and other financial institutions whose archives have come to us as a result of amalgamations (including Colonial Mutual Limited and the Rural Bank of New South Wales).
Sources of information include:
- Annual reports and other publications (including brochures, posters and advertising materials)
- Records about the Commonwealth Bank’s current and former properties
- Records about our organisational structure and staffing
- Photographs of people, events and buildings
- Ledgers, registers and commercial records
- Memorabilia including currency, uniforms, furniture, safes, moneyboxes and gold scales
- An archive of employee magazines, corporate history files, terms and conditions, product disclosure statements and circulars
- Film, video, and other fragile audio-visual materials.
For a detailed description of the Documentation and Archives Centre, download the summary guide.
You can contact the centre by Email, Phone or Fax. Material that cannot be easily transmitted by Email or Fax may be consulted on site by prior arrangement.
Commonwealth Bank Documentation and Archive Centre
133-141 Liverpool Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (612) 9101 7225
Fax: (612) 9101 7232